RE: SHACKS for PACKS

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      I am very excited about the plan Bob came up with. I can also understand
      some of the problems some of us might have in implementing such a plan at
      our own camps; i.e. slow or unresponsive camping committee. After lugging,
      hanging an antenna, securing and dis/assembling my equipment several times I
      feel the summer camps at Heritage Reservation (Independence(CS),
      Liberty(BS), Freedom(BS)) need a shack.

      Here is what I am planning to do:
      Project HARP (Heritage Amateur Radio Program)
      (1)Approach local ham/scouters with this idea and get input.
      (2)Approach local radio clubs for future funding ideas/pledges (rough
      estimate $3K(probably much less); 3 camps)
      (3)Approach council through my District Executive or Camping Director(who at
      camp found out he is a ham).
      (A)point out how ham radio can be integrated into the summer camp
      program
      (B)offer to survey ham/scouters through council newspaper and survey at
      camp during 2003 to gauge interest
      (4)if approved secure funding, install in camp spring 2004

      Did I miss anything or does anyone have any other suggestions?

      Now during my camp operation I (1)helped scouts complete the Weather MB
      (talk to a meteorologist via WX3PIT), (2)had one guest operator,
      (3)encouraged several jr staff to work on getting their licenses.

      Bob's SHACKS for PACKS site:
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

      73

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC