Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 296

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      I agree that Red Cross contacts
      should be explored.
      The ARC Chapters in Maine are all getting
      fired up with 2m and HF stations as a result
      of 1997 "ice storm" post evaluations / funding.
      The ham/scouts in this area are finding
      this to be a great place to get networked
      with emerg mgmt types for their service
      projects.

      If the ARC in his neck of the woods are
      not hooked up with local hams, then the
      scout could start building those briges,
      organizing a drive to get some equipment
      donated, installed, and get the right people
      all talking from ARC and Ham circles.

      Learning how to organize and plan "events"
      (blood drives, Emerg Trainings, etc) are
      valuable things in themselves. He doesn't have
      to draw the blood or teach the class, etc...
      he just has to be the spark to make all the
      things happen... Learning how to organize
      a fund raising event for something is a great
      project by itself. Is there a tower/repeater
      needed at a Red Cross or Civil Defense
      shelter? All kinds of things can be done!

      On 11 Jul 02, at 3:12, scoutradio@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      > From: "Tomsharp@..." <tomsharp@...>
      > 4. Re: Eagle scout project
      > From: RStone1221@...

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:41:50 -0000
      > From: "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@...>
      > Subject: Eagle scout project
      >
      > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
      > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
      > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jean, WB3IOS

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:28:39 -0400
      > From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <thefred@...>
      > Subject: Re: Eagle scout project
      >
      > Hi Jean--
      >
      > A local ham-Scout's Eagle Project was to check all the designated Red
      > Cross Shelter sites in his County (perhaps 10) and determine which
      > 2-meter repeaters could be accessed from each. In this manner,
      > emergency communications capabilities from the shelters could be
      > pre-determined. I believe a report of his findings and a list of
      > frequencies for each shelter was presented to the County Emergency
      > Manager and to the American Red Cross. His project supervisor (and
      > Assistant Scoutmaster) was also a ham, so he had adequate guidance. I
      > think it took him about six or eight weeks to complete the project
      > with assistance from other hams throughout the county who served as
      > distant end contacts.
      >
      > 73 de Fred
      > K2FRD
      >
      > At 15:41 +0000 10/07/2002, whitemurphy wrote:
      > >I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
      > >incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
      > >project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.
      > >Any ideas?
      >
      > --
      > 73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
      > Chenango Co. (NY) Assistant Emergency Coordinator
      > Foothills District, Otschodela Council BSA Committees
      > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
      > K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
      > Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
      > Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly Scouting/Ham Radio newsletter
      > (no cost, no spam):
      > Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
      > For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
      > http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:42:40 -0700
      > From: "Tomsharp@..." <tomsharp@...>
      > Subject: Re: Eagle scout project
      >
      > Jean,
      >
      > Explorer Post 599 in Phoenix is sponsored by the Arizona Repeater Association. Out here, and probably everywhere, Eagle projects can't be done for a Scouting unit (Council, Troop, or Exp Post). But it can benefit a unit's sponsor. So a couple of guys organized work parties to perform some
      well needed maintenance on Mountaintop radio sites owned by the ARA. Work included repairing roof, walls, and doors, painting the entire structure, and weed clearing. No real radio work was done, which is kind of hard to do as in leadership role.

      > Back in the sixties, my Eagle project was the establishment and running a emerg net on 2-meters, including operation in a couple of tornado storms. I don't know if that would be enough in today's world.
      >
      > Our Council looks for the definite leadership of others and generally wants at least 100-man-hours of time spent on the project.
      >
      > He could incorporate ham radio into a non-radio project. If working on improving a trail, radio can be used to coordinate the workers and get supplies and water to where it's needed. We did that on one of my son's projects, installing plant name signs along a 2-mile interpretive trail.
      Especially useful to handle emergencies/injuries, and may be impressive to Council as an unusual leadership technique.