Re: [Scoutradio] Eagle scout project

  • RStone1221@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
      I have a couple of ideas for ta ham related Eagle project.

      1)
      You could do an equipment drive, for new or used, and donate to:

      a. EDUCOM, the New York School/Ham program that is nonprofit.
      b. ARRL's big project & help set up a new station at your school or another
      c. Boyscouts of America & set up a station at one of your summer/winter camps
      &
      recruit adult hams to volunteer to operate it and teach the Radio merit
      badge

      2)
      You could recruit other "kid" hams to do the communications for a local event
      on 2-meter HT's. Maybe for a parade, local athletic event, or even for a
      scout event.

      3)
      You could recruit adult hams to become Radio merit badge counselors, gather a
      group of boys to be taught in your troop, make all the preparations, and help
      teach them the Radio merit badge

      Hope this helps.

      Roz Stone
      Carrollton, Texas
      Mom of KD5LUV
      (My son is an hour away from finishing writing up his Eagle project.)
    • wb2boo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
        --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
        > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
        > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
        Scout
        > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
        details.
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jean, WB3IOS
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
          > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
          > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
          > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

          Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

          See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

          de WB4APR, Bob
        • Richard A. Blank
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
            BSA Policy is very clear that the Eagle Scout Service Project can not
            benefit the Scout, his Unit (Troop or Crew), the local Council or it's
            camps.

          • Tomsharp@cox.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
              Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea.  But has it been used as an Eagle project?  Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps.  Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here.  73

              ----Tom  WA9OXY
              Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix  (W7BSA)

              > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
              > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
              > > project.  I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

              Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

              See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

              de WB4APR, Bob

            • kr1zan
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                Why not "Shacks for Girl Scout Camps" as the Eagle Project? That
                should work. I've known many Eagle projects done on behalf of Girl
                Scout camps.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN
                Garland, TX

                --- In scoutradio@y..., "Tomsharp@c..." <tomsharp@c...> wrote:
                > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as
                an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project
                cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe
                you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                > ----Tom WA9OXY
                > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA)

                Service.
              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                  On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tomsharp@... wrote:

                  > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                  Ah bummer.
                  Nevermind...
                  My other idea is for linear trails (Old railroad beds turned into parks)
                  is to have an Eagle get permissions to set up SIGNS explaining the
                  importance of COMMs to railroads (telegraph) and then to have the signs
                  promote FRS channel X for that trail...

                  Then ON the sign, he also gets to put an AD about the local HAM club as
                  the place to learn more...

                  I call it "Telegraphs to Bikes"

                  And what I WANTED to do was to get the Phone company that has milllions of
                  2wire pairs along the trail to give us a breakout pair every mile that we
                  could link together so that from one end of the trail to the other,
                  MOM's could keep in touch with sonny....

                  But this is against the rules for FRS, though in my mind, it can be done
                  with no external radio interfaces by putting a WX proof FRS HT in a pipe
                  and building a parabolic chicken wire enclosure that would make sure the
                  FRS was only receivable along the linear trail. Then link them...

                  I think it woiuld be in the spirit of FRS to provide an emergency
                  COMM channel that would work along the length of the trial.
                  But again, fo HAM radio, the advantage is that on the COMM signs
                  educating the public about the history of telegraph along the railroads
                  and the use of FRS for safety on the trial, you get to put your CLUB
                  info..

                  de WB4APR, Bob

                  ----Tom WA9OXY > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA) >

                  de WB4APR@..., Bob

                  PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                  ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                  CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                  APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                  APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                  MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
                • wb2boo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                    --- In scoutradio@y..., "wb2boo" <k2gw@a...> wrote:
                    > --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                    > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                    > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
                    > Scout
                    > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
                    > details.
                    > > Any ideas?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Jean, WB3IOS

                    Aparently the Yahoo server interuption lost my reply. My idea was
                    rasing funds and assembling a two meter station for a local Red Cross
                    chapter or perhaps a similar project for a shelter radio kit.

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW