Re: [Scoutradio] Eagle scout project

  • Tomsharp@cox.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
      Jean,

      Explorer Post 599 in Phoenix is sponsored by the Arizona Repeater Association.  Out here, and probably everywhere, Eagle projects can't be done for a Scouting unit (Council, Troop, or Exp Post).  But it can benefit a unit's sponsor.  So a couple of guys organized work parties to perform some well needed maintenance on Mountaintop radio sites owned by the ARA.  Work included repairing roof, walls, and doors, painting the entire structure, and weed clearing.  No real radio work was done, which is kind of hard to do as in leadership role.

      Back in the sixties, my Eagle project was the establishment and running a emerg net on 2-meters, including operation in a couple of tornado storms.  I don't know if that would be enough in today's world.

      Our Council looks for the definite leadership of others and generally wants at least 100-man-hours of time spent on the project.

      He could incorporate ham radio into a non-radio project.  If working on improving a trail, radio can be used to coordinate the workers and get supplies and water to where it's needed.  We did that on one of my son's projects, installing plant name signs along a 2-mile interpretive trail.  Especially useful to handle emergencies/injuries, and may be impressive to Council as an unusual leadership technique.

      I wish him and you the best.  Let us know what he does.

      ----Tom   WA9OXY

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
        I have a couple of ideas for ta ham related Eagle project.

        1)
        You could do an equipment drive, for new or used, and donate to:

        a. EDUCOM, the New York School/Ham program that is nonprofit.
        b. ARRL's big project & help set up a new station at your school or another
        c. Boyscouts of America & set up a station at one of your summer/winter camps
        &
        recruit adult hams to volunteer to operate it and teach the Radio merit
        badge

        2)
        You could recruit other "kid" hams to do the communications for a local event
        on 2-meter HT's. Maybe for a parade, local athletic event, or even for a
        scout event.

        3)
        You could recruit adult hams to become Radio merit badge counselors, gather a
        group of boys to be taught in your troop, make all the preparations, and help
        teach them the Radio merit badge

        Hope this helps.

        Roz Stone
        Carrollton, Texas
        Mom of KD5LUV
        (My son is an hour away from finishing writing up his Eagle project.)
      • wb2boo
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
          --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
          > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
          > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
          Scout
          > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
          details.
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jean, WB3IOS
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
            > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
            > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
            > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

            Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

            See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

            de WB4APR, Bob
          • Richard A. Blank
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
              BSA Policy is very clear that the Eagle Scout Service Project can not
              benefit the Scout, his Unit (Troop or Crew), the local Council or it's
              camps.

            • Tomsharp@cox.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea.  But has it been used as an Eagle project?  Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps.  Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here.  73

                ----Tom  WA9OXY
                Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix  (W7BSA)

                > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
                > > project.  I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

                Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

                See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                de WB4APR, Bob

              • kr1zan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                  Why not "Shacks for Girl Scout Camps" as the Eagle Project? That
                  should work. I've known many Eagle projects done on behalf of Girl
                  Scout camps.

                  73, Frank KR1ZAN
                  Garland, TX

                  --- In scoutradio@y..., "Tomsharp@c..." <tomsharp@c...> wrote:
                  > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as
                  an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project
                  cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe
                  you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                  > ----Tom WA9OXY
                  > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA)

                  Service.
                • Bob Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                    On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tomsharp@... wrote:

                    > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                    Ah bummer.
                    Nevermind...
                    My other idea is for linear trails (Old railroad beds turned into parks)
                    is to have an Eagle get permissions to set up SIGNS explaining the
                    importance of COMMs to railroads (telegraph) and then to have the signs
                    promote FRS channel X for that trail...

                    Then ON the sign, he also gets to put an AD about the local HAM club as
                    the place to learn more...

                    I call it "Telegraphs to Bikes"

                    And what I WANTED to do was to get the Phone company that has milllions of
                    2wire pairs along the trail to give us a breakout pair every mile that we
                    could link together so that from one end of the trail to the other,
                    MOM's could keep in touch with sonny....

                    But this is against the rules for FRS, though in my mind, it can be done
                    with no external radio interfaces by putting a WX proof FRS HT in a pipe
                    and building a parabolic chicken wire enclosure that would make sure the
                    FRS was only receivable along the linear trail. Then link them...

                    I think it woiuld be in the spirit of FRS to provide an emergency
                    COMM channel that would work along the length of the trial.
                    But again, fo HAM radio, the advantage is that on the COMM signs
                    educating the public about the history of telegraph along the railroads
                    and the use of FRS for safety on the trial, you get to put your CLUB
                    info..

                    de WB4APR, Bob

                    ----Tom WA9OXY > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA) >

                    de WB4APR@..., Bob

                    PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                    ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                    CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                    APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                    APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                    MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
                  • wb2boo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                      --- In scoutradio@y..., "wb2boo" <k2gw@a...> wrote:
                      > --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                      > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                      > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
                      > Scout
                      > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
                      > details.
                      > > Any ideas?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Jean, WB3IOS

                      Aparently the Yahoo server interuption lost my reply. My idea was
                      rasing funds and assembling a two meter station for a local Red Cross
                      chapter or perhaps a similar project for a shelter radio kit.

                      73

                      Gary, K2GW