Re: [Scoutradio] Eagle scout project

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
      Hi Jean--

      A local ham-Scout's Eagle Project was to check all the designated Red
      Cross Shelter sites in his County (perhaps 10) and determine which
      2-meter repeaters could be accessed from each. In this manner,
      emergency communications capabilities from the shelters could be
      pre-determined. I believe a report of his findings and a list of
      frequencies for each shelter was presented to the County Emergency
      Manager and to the American Red Cross. His project supervisor (and
      Assistant Scoutmaster) was also a ham, so he had adequate guidance. I
      think it took him about six or eight weeks to complete the project
      with assistance from other hams throughout the county who served as
      distant end contacts.

      73 de Fred
      K2FRD

      --
      73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
        Jean,

        Explorer Post 599 in Phoenix is sponsored by the Arizona Repeater Association.  Out here, and probably everywhere, Eagle projects can't be done for a Scouting unit (Council, Troop, or Exp Post).  But it can benefit a unit's sponsor.  So a couple of guys organized work parties to perform some well needed maintenance on Mountaintop radio sites owned by the ARA.  Work included repairing roof, walls, and doors, painting the entire structure, and weed clearing.  No real radio work was done, which is kind of hard to do as in leadership role.

        Back in the sixties, my Eagle project was the establishment and running a emerg net on 2-meters, including operation in a couple of tornado storms.  I don't know if that would be enough in today's world.

        Our Council looks for the definite leadership of others and generally wants at least 100-man-hours of time spent on the project.

        He could incorporate ham radio into a non-radio project.  If working on improving a trail, radio can be used to coordinate the workers and get supplies and water to where it's needed.  We did that on one of my son's projects, installing plant name signs along a 2-mile interpretive trail.  Especially useful to handle emergencies/injuries, and may be impressive to Council as an unusual leadership technique.

        I wish him and you the best.  Let us know what he does.

        ----Tom   WA9OXY

        I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
        incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
        project.  I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.
        Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Jean, WB3IOS

      • RStone1221@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
          I have a couple of ideas for ta ham related Eagle project.

          1)
          You could do an equipment drive, for new or used, and donate to:

          a. EDUCOM, the New York School/Ham program that is nonprofit.
          b. ARRL's big project & help set up a new station at your school or another
          c. Boyscouts of America & set up a station at one of your summer/winter camps
          &
          recruit adult hams to volunteer to operate it and teach the Radio merit
          badge

          2)
          You could recruit other "kid" hams to do the communications for a local event
          on 2-meter HT's. Maybe for a parade, local athletic event, or even for a
          scout event.

          3)
          You could recruit adult hams to become Radio merit badge counselors, gather a
          group of boys to be taught in your troop, make all the preparations, and help
          teach them the Radio merit badge

          Hope this helps.

          Roz Stone
          Carrollton, Texas
          Mom of KD5LUV
          (My son is an hour away from finishing writing up his Eagle project.)
        • wb2boo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
            --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
            > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
            > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
            Scout
            > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
            details.
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jean, WB3IOS
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
              > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
              > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
              > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

              Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

              See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

              de WB4APR, Bob
            • Richard A. Blank
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                BSA Policy is very clear that the Eagle Scout Service Project can not
                benefit the Scout, his Unit (Troop or Crew), the local Council or it's
                camps.

              • Tomsharp@cox.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                  Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea.  But has it been used as an Eagle project?  Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps.  Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here.  73

                  ----Tom  WA9OXY
                  Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix  (W7BSA)

                  > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                  > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
                  > > project.  I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

                  Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

                  See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                  de WB4APR, Bob

                • kr1zan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2002
                    Why not "Shacks for Girl Scout Camps" as the Eagle Project? That
                    should work. I've known many Eagle projects done on behalf of Girl
                    Scout camps.

                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    Garland, TX

                    --- In scoutradio@y..., "Tomsharp@c..." <tomsharp@c...> wrote:
                    > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as
                    an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project
                    cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe
                    you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                    > ----Tom WA9OXY
                    > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA)

                    Service.
                  • Bob Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                      On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tomsharp@... wrote:

                      > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                      Ah bummer.
                      Nevermind...
                      My other idea is for linear trails (Old railroad beds turned into parks)
                      is to have an Eagle get permissions to set up SIGNS explaining the
                      importance of COMMs to railroads (telegraph) and then to have the signs
                      promote FRS channel X for that trail...

                      Then ON the sign, he also gets to put an AD about the local HAM club as
                      the place to learn more...

                      I call it "Telegraphs to Bikes"

                      And what I WANTED to do was to get the Phone company that has milllions of
                      2wire pairs along the trail to give us a breakout pair every mile that we
                      could link together so that from one end of the trail to the other,
                      MOM's could keep in touch with sonny....

                      But this is against the rules for FRS, though in my mind, it can be done
                      with no external radio interfaces by putting a WX proof FRS HT in a pipe
                      and building a parabolic chicken wire enclosure that would make sure the
                      FRS was only receivable along the linear trail. Then link them...

                      I think it woiuld be in the spirit of FRS to provide an emergency
                      COMM channel that would work along the length of the trial.
                      But again, fo HAM radio, the advantage is that on the COMM signs
                      educating the public about the history of telegraph along the railroads
                      and the use of FRS for safety on the trial, you get to put your CLUB
                      info..

                      de WB4APR, Bob

                      ----Tom WA9OXY > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA) >

                      de WB4APR@..., Bob

                      PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                      ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                      CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                      APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                      MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
                    • wb2boo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
                        --- In scoutradio@y..., "wb2boo" <k2gw@a...> wrote:
                        > --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                        > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                        > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
                        > Scout
                        > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
                        > details.
                        > > Any ideas?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Jean, WB3IOS

                        Aparently the Yahoo server interuption lost my reply. My idea was
                        rasing funds and assembling a two meter station for a local Red Cross
                        chapter or perhaps a similar project for a shelter radio kit.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW