Eagle scout project

  • whitemurphy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10 8:41 AM
      I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
      incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
      project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.
      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Jean, WB3IOS
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10 9:28 AM
        Hi Jean--

        A local ham-Scout's Eagle Project was to check all the designated Red
        Cross Shelter sites in his County (perhaps 10) and determine which
        2-meter repeaters could be accessed from each. In this manner,
        emergency communications capabilities from the shelters could be
        pre-determined. I believe a report of his findings and a list of
        frequencies for each shelter was presented to the County Emergency
        Manager and to the American Red Cross. His project supervisor (and
        Assistant Scoutmaster) was also a ham, so he had adequate guidance. I
        think it took him about six or eight weeks to complete the project
        with assistance from other hams throughout the county who served as
        distant end contacts.

        73 de Fred
        K2FRD

        --
        73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10 9:42 AM
          Jean,

          Explorer Post 599 in Phoenix is sponsored by the Arizona Repeater Association.  Out here, and probably everywhere, Eagle projects can't be done for a Scouting unit (Council, Troop, or Exp Post).  But it can benefit a unit's sponsor.  So a couple of guys organized work parties to perform some well needed maintenance on Mountaintop radio sites owned by the ARA.  Work included repairing roof, walls, and doors, painting the entire structure, and weed clearing.  No real radio work was done, which is kind of hard to do as in leadership role.

          Back in the sixties, my Eagle project was the establishment and running a emerg net on 2-meters, including operation in a couple of tornado storms.  I don't know if that would be enough in today's world.

          Our Council looks for the definite leadership of others and generally wants at least 100-man-hours of time spent on the project.

          He could incorporate ham radio into a non-radio project.  If working on improving a trail, radio can be used to coordinate the workers and get supplies and water to where it's needed.  We did that on one of my son's projects, installing plant name signs along a 2-mile interpretive trail.  Especially useful to handle emergencies/injuries, and may be impressive to Council as an unusual leadership technique.

          I wish him and you the best.  Let us know what he does.

          ----Tom   WA9OXY

        • RStone1221@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10 10:41 AM
            I have a couple of ideas for ta ham related Eagle project.

            1)
            You could do an equipment drive, for new or used, and donate to:

            a. EDUCOM, the New York School/Ham program that is nonprofit.
            b. ARRL's big project & help set up a new station at your school or another
            c. Boyscouts of America & set up a station at one of your summer/winter camps
            &
            recruit adult hams to volunteer to operate it and teach the Radio merit
            badge

            2)
            You could recruit other "kid" hams to do the communications for a local event
            on 2-meter HT's. Maybe for a parade, local athletic event, or even for a
            scout event.

            3)
            You could recruit adult hams to become Radio merit badge counselors, gather a
            group of boys to be taught in your troop, make all the preparations, and help
            teach them the Radio merit badge

            Hope this helps.

            Roz Stone
            Carrollton, Texas
            Mom of KD5LUV
            (My son is an hour away from finishing writing up his Eagle project.)
          • wb2boo
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22 2:28 PM
              --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
              > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
              > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
              Scout
              > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
              details.
              > Any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jean, WB3IOS
            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22 4:11 PM
                > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
                > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

                Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

                See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                de WB4APR, Bob
              • Richard A. Blank
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22 6:00 PM
                  BSA Policy is very clear that the Eagle Scout Service Project can not
                  benefit the Scout, his Unit (Troop or Crew), the local Council or it's
                  camps.

                • Tomsharp@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22 6:07 PM
                    Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea.  But has it been used as an Eagle project?  Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps.  Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here.  73

                    ----Tom  WA9OXY
                    Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix  (W7BSA)

                    > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                    > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle Scout
                    > > project.  I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and details.

                    Sure, SHACKS-4-PACKS

                    See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                    de WB4APR, Bob

                  • kr1zan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22 6:27 PM
                      Why not "Shacks for Girl Scout Camps" as the Eagle Project? That
                      should work. I've known many Eagle projects done on behalf of Girl
                      Scout camps.

                      73, Frank KR1ZAN
                      Garland, TX

                      --- In scoutradio@y..., "Tomsharp@c..." <tomsharp@c...> wrote:
                      > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as
                      an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project
                      cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe
                      you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                      > ----Tom WA9OXY
                      > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA)

                      Service.
                    • Bob Bruninga
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 23 7:02 AM
                        On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tomsharp@... wrote:

                        > Bob, "Shacks for Packs" is a great idea. But has it been used as an Eagle project? Here in Grand Canyon Council, an Eagle project cannot benefit the Council and can't be used for Scout Camps. Myabe you've found a way around this that we can use out here. 73

                        Ah bummer.
                        Nevermind...
                        My other idea is for linear trails (Old railroad beds turned into parks)
                        is to have an Eagle get permissions to set up SIGNS explaining the
                        importance of COMMs to railroads (telegraph) and then to have the signs
                        promote FRS channel X for that trail...

                        Then ON the sign, he also gets to put an AD about the local HAM club as
                        the place to learn more...

                        I call it "Telegraphs to Bikes"

                        And what I WANTED to do was to get the Phone company that has milllions of
                        2wire pairs along the trail to give us a breakout pair every mile that we
                        could link together so that from one end of the trail to the other,
                        MOM's could keep in touch with sonny....

                        But this is against the rules for FRS, though in my mind, it can be done
                        with no external radio interfaces by putting a WX proof FRS HT in a pipe
                        and building a parabolic chicken wire enclosure that would make sure the
                        FRS was only receivable along the linear trail. Then link them...

                        I think it woiuld be in the spirit of FRS to provide an emergency
                        COMM channel that would work along the length of the trial.
                        But again, fo HAM radio, the advantage is that on the COMM signs
                        educating the public about the history of telegraph along the railroads
                        and the use of FRS for safety on the trial, you get to put your CLUB
                        info..

                        de WB4APR, Bob

                        ----Tom WA9OXY > Explorer Post 599 - Phoenix (W7BSA) >

                        de WB4APR@..., Bob

                        PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
                        ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
                        CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
                        APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
                        APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
                        MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://www.toad.net/~wclement/bruninga/mic-lite.html
                      • wb2boo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 23 11:16 AM
                          --- In scoutradio@y..., "wb2boo" <k2gw@a...> wrote:
                          > --- In scoutradio@y..., "whitemurphy" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
                          > > I had a call from a young ham/scout in CT who would like to
                          > > incorporate his ham radio abilities and knowledge into an Eagle
                          > Scout
                          > > project. I'm looking for a list of suggested activities and
                          > details.
                          > > Any ideas?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Jean, WB3IOS

                          Aparently the Yahoo server interuption lost my reply. My idea was
                          rasing funds and assembling a two meter station for a local Red Cross
                          chapter or perhaps a similar project for a shelter radio kit.

                          73

                          Gary, K2GW