Re: [Scoutradio] Re: Radio Merit Badge at clinic

  • Tomsharp@cox.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5 1:06 PM
      Hi, Rick,

      Short answer: we're still Explorers.

      Phx's Post 599 has been in existence for at least 25 years.  We've been serving the entire Phx area, which means that no matter what the event, someone has to drive 35 miles or more to get there!

      On that day where they decided to reorganize Exploring/Venturing (was it 1999 or 2000?), we received a notice from Grand Canyon Council that we were now a Venturing Unit.  Well, at the time, it didn't feel right, having been Exploring for so long, and everything we had said Exploring on it.  A few resigned themselves to the fact of the new name (in fact, our treasurer ordered 500 new QSL cards with Venture Crew 599 on it).  But we went to the Council and convinced them that we were more in line with the Learning for Life program, more career oriented.  Within the week, we were back in Exploring (anyone need some QSLs?).

      Today, would I have fought for Exploring?  I don't know.  There are some advantages in the Venturing, especially the possibility of rank advancement (I believe that's true, where we encourage those pursuing Eagle to dual register in a Troop) and the closer affiliation with the BSA name (they have taken the BSA symbol off of the Exploring logo, for instance).  But Exploring is more easily recognized around here, especially by the old timers.

      By the way, after about a year-long effort, Explorer Post 73 was just formed two weeks ago in Tucson.  Their council talked with our council and decided it was the right way to go.  Post 73 will be building the Post until their first big event, JOTA in Oct 2002.

      ---Tom Sharp   WA9OXY
      Phx'x Post 599 -- W7BSA

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5 10:45 PM
        I picked up (actually, my wife picked it up) the latest Radio Merit Badge
        booklet from the Scout Shop on Wednesday. Yes, it has the 2002 changes.

        73 de AC7EW
        Kelly