Re: WELCOME to the scoutradio mail list!

  • Martin A. Flynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 1969
      At 05:50 PM 7/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: "Jon Pearl W4ABC" <w4abc@...>
      >
      >Are you a ham Martin?

      No. One day I'll sit down to take the test. Most likely when one of my
      fellow scouters drag me from my bed & demand that I take it <grin>.

      Martin

      Martin A. Flynn
      http://www.seascout.net
      admin@...
    • Jon Pearl W4ABC
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30 3:41 PM
        > From: w4nhl@...
        >

        > I would like to welcome everyone who has joined the Scout-Radio mail
        list. There has not been much activity from most of the members of the list,
        so I would like to invite each of you to send a msg outlining (briefly) your
        interest in this list. Please add any comments on how you are promoting
        Scouting and Ham Radio (or FSR radio) where you live. Thanks and again
        Welcome!

        > YIS & 73,
        >
        > Neil, W4NHL
        > West Central Florida Area Council

        When last I looked Neil, we were at 30 subscribers. There always seems to
        be a rise in list numbers following one of my QST's on either the
        rec.scouting.usa NG or SCOUTS-L@.... "Onelist" makes it easy
        to sign on, and find other similar list's too. I am sure many people have
        fallen upon us by using keywords such as 'scout' or 'radio' when in fact
        they weren't looking for us to begin with. All together not too bad
        considering we are a niche' market within another niche' market.

        For those of you that are already holding license classes, I am envious.
        Some months ago, my partner and I - Dan Johnson (W4BNC) made an offer when a
        bunch of us put on a demonstration at our yearly "Scouts Spectacular." We
        offered the first ten boys to pass the Technician class license a brand new
        Alinco 2m radio. We put the cart before the horse I suspect because they
        are winging it on their own (with materials supplied by Kenwood) and finding
        it hard at best to break into the hobby in this unconventional (now-a-days)
        approach.

        Dan and I have decided that we truly need to have our system up and running
        when we decide to tackle the teaching end of things, and to round up the
        resources of the local clubs for that purpose. It seems that there is more
        'testing' than teaching anymore. With the simple fact that there are small
        numbers taking exams anymore, it might bode well for us in this area
        (geographic), to become more pro-active in this arena. I personally am not
        an engineer, but then again, I have seen those who weren't, do a perfectly
        good job at it, so maybe I should quit being so anal-retentive about it, and
        just help to develop a game plan.

        I am so glad to see that there is an interest amongst Scouters in Amateur
        Radio (you can't all be Hams right?). It truly is the 'super hobby' and has
        the ability to teach youngsters so much more than just what you see on the
        face of it - 'radio.'

        Given the fact that local communities are actually coming to grips with the
        reality that they 'do' in fact need a helping hand from time to time,
        Amateur Radio can fill the bill. Communications in business is no different
        than communications on any other level. Without it, you operate in a vacuum
        and nothing happens in vacuum. Communications needed to run local
        government can be wiped out in a single stroke with the power of a
        hurricane.

        Many times we hear it said, "Don't do anything that a boy can do for
        himself." With proper instruction, a boy can easily run emergency nets
        given some adult oversight at the inception. Talk about teaching
        'leadership skills' - 'emergency preparedness' and a sense of local and
        nationalistic pride to boot!

        Well off of the soap box - it's time to get a bite to eat.

        73 YIS

        Jon Pearl W4ABC

        >>>-------->Scout Sertoma's>>>-------->
        "West Central Florida ScoutRadio Network"
        Delivering the PROMISE 24 Hours a day!
        Building an Amateur Radio System for Scouting families -
        Scouters, and the friends of Scouting!
        ================== WA4BSA ====================
        Pinellas St. Petersburg - 145.470 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
        Dunedin HUB - 145.210 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
        Dunedin HUB - 444.750 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
        Seminole/Largo area --------- Future Plans
        Pasco Holiday area --------------------- Future Plans
        Hernando Sandhill Scout Reservation - Future Plans
        "Values" and "Character Building"
        for the next millenium's newest leaders.

        "BE PREPARED"

        Scout Sertoma is a 501 (c) (3) charity.
        Donations gladly accepted.