Troop59 to Colorado

  • Frosty6981@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
      My troop will be heading to Colorado on Friday.  I will be running APRS under the call of KC0IDI-2.  For those who would like to track us you are more than welcome and if you are able to see us and send a message please do!  Hope to see you on the map.  A good site to track us from if you don't have an APRS system going is http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=kc0idi-2!Troop59.  Again, please let me know if you see us!

      73,  Reid KCØIDI
             ASPL Troop 59
             Lawrence, KS
    • Kelly Bersch
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
        I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a question. I've
        been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a Merit
        Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ). They would like for the Scouts to be able
        to complete all or most of the requirements at that time. Has anyone done
        this? Any ideas? All ideas are greatly appreciated.

        73 de AC7EW
        Kelly
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
          At 12:17 -0700 04/07/2002, Kelly Bersch wrote:
          >I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a question. I've
          >been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a Merit
          >Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ). They would like for the Scouts to be able
          >to complete all or most of the requirements at that time. Has anyone done
          >this? Any ideas? All ideas are greatly appreciated.
          >
          >73 de AC7EW
          >Kelly

          The fastest I've ever seen Radio Merit Badge instruction is in five
          one-hour sessions during which several hours of "homework" needed to
          be done by the Scouts. Of twelve who started the class, only three
          completed.

          I've heard of similar instruction times at National Jamborees, but I
          can't confirm that.
          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
            Kelly,
            The SPARK Lodge ARC/K3BSA has done and still does, one day
            intensive Radio merit badge seminars. The biggest challenge for you to
            consider would be, setting up radios to get the kids on the air to make
            real contacts. I favor the live on air contacts over the simulated
            contacts since it give the Scouts the opportunity to try ham radio out.
            Who knows, one of the Scouts may go on to get their license and others
            may be come very interested. We have had a lot of successes where kids
            went on to get licensed.

            73,
            Rick WB3BSA

            SPARK Lodge/K3BSA website: http://www.k3bsa.org

            Kelly Bersch wrote:

            > I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a
            > question. I've
            > been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a
            > Merit
            > Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ). They would like for the Scouts to be
            > able
            > to complete all or most of the requirements at that time. Has anyone
            > done
            > this? Any ideas? All ideas are greatly appreciated.
            >
            > 73 de AC7EW
            > Kelly
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [{short description of image}]

            > ScoutRadio start page:

          • t_sharp
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
              Kelly,

              Maybe Explorer Post 599 can help you. We are the Phoenix area's Ham
              Radio Post, and we meet weekly near you in Mesa. If you wish,
              contact me directly and we can chat off-line. 73

              ---Tom WA9OXY
              Advisor, Post 599, Phoenix, AZ
              wa9oxy@...

              --- In scoutradio@y..., "Kelly Bersch" <ac7ew@a...> wrote:
              > I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a
              question. I've
              > been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a
              Merit
              > Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ). They would like for the Scouts to
              be able
              > to complete all or most of the requirements at that time. Has
              anyone done
              > this? Any ideas? All ideas are greatly appreciated.
              >
              > 73 de AC7EW
              > Kelly
            • Bill Stewart
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                Kelly, It has been done. We have done it here in the Colonial District, National Capital Area Council. Each January, we have a merit badge jamboree using one of the local
                public schools. When we do the merit badge we require the candidates to read the book and do the required home work ahead of time. They then come to the merit badge jamboree
                and turn in the homework and we sign them of on the items that the homework fulfills. We then do a 1/2 day lecture and hands on session during the Merit Badge Jamboree where
                they get a chance to make contacts. Most usually fulfill the requirements the same day.
                The biggest problem is getting the boys to do the homework. Usually, it because the Scoutmasters done relay the information to the boys that there are prerequisites. This is true
                of most of the merit badges in the jamboree that have requirements that the boys must do.
                One other thing we do is we recognize the boys that have a Amateur Radio License. Those that are licensed are signed off on all of the Amateur Radio Requirements and awarded
                the merit badge. We believe that by virtue of the fact that the boy took the time and effort to learn what was required to pass the exam and earn his license that he has earned  his
                Radio Merit Badge as well.

                73 and YiS,

                Bill Stewart, Crew 80, Alexandria, VA W2BSA

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                  Tom,
                  Is your Post still a Post, or is it a Crew now? Ham Radio Post
                  599, chartered to the SPARK Lodge ARC here in southeastern PA, was
                  changed to a Venturing Crew and is now subsequently, Ham Radio Crew 599.

                  73,
                  Rick WB3BSA

                  Crew 599/K3BSA web site: http://www.k3bsa.org

                  t_sharp wrote:

                  > Kelly,
                  >
                  > Maybe Explorer Post 599 can help you. We are the Phoenix area's Ham
                  > Radio Post, and we meet weekly near you in Mesa. If you wish,
                  > contact me directly and we can chat off-line. 73
                  >
                  > ---Tom WA9OXY
                  > Advisor, Post 599, Phoenix, AZ
                  > wa9oxy@...
                  >

                  > --- In scoutradio@y..., "Kelly Bersch" <ac7ew@a...> wrote:
                  > > I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a
                  > question. I've
                  > > been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a
                  > Merit
                  > > Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ). They would like for the Scouts to
                  > be able
                  > > to complete all or most of the requirements at that time. Has
                  > anyone done
                  > > this? Any ideas? All ideas are greatly appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > 73 de AC7EW
                  > > Kelly
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  [Image]

                  > ScoutRadio start page:

                • Kelly Bersch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                    I'm not sure when the clinic is. Soon, but not next week. I was asked
                    about this last Sunday and I picked up the Merit Badge booklet on Tuesday.
                    I've looked it over and was thinking there was an awful lot to do in one
                    sitting. I'm glad I asked the group. I like the idea of assigning home
                    work to do ahead. That would make it workable. I'll find out tomorrow
                    exactly when it is. It's for one troop so the number of scouts won't be
                    overwhelming.

                    Bill, any details you have about how you conducted things would be helpful.

                    Frank, I'd appreciate it if you could get the information to me.

                    You're all great (which is what I've come to expect from people who work
                    with Scouts).

                    73 de AC7EW
                    Kelly
                  • Tomsharp@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2002
                      Hi, Rick,

                      Short answer: we're still Explorers.

                      Phx's Post 599 has been in existence for at least 25 years.  We've been serving the entire Phx area, which means that no matter what the event, someone has to drive 35 miles or more to get there!

                      On that day where they decided to reorganize Exploring/Venturing (was it 1999 or 2000?), we received a notice from Grand Canyon Council that we were now a Venturing Unit.  Well, at the time, it didn't feel right, having been Exploring for so long, and everything we had said Exploring on it.  A few resigned themselves to the fact of the new name (in fact, our treasurer ordered 500 new QSL cards with Venture Crew 599 on it).  But we went to the Council and convinced them that we were more in line with the Learning for Life program, more career oriented.  Within the week, we were back in Exploring (anyone need some QSLs?).

                      Today, would I have fought for Exploring?  I don't know.  There are some advantages in the Venturing, especially the possibility of rank advancement (I believe that's true, where we encourage those pursuing Eagle to dual register in a Troop) and the closer affiliation with the BSA name (they have taken the BSA symbol off of the Exploring logo, for instance).  But Exploring is more easily recognized around here, especially by the old timers.

                      By the way, after about a year-long effort, Explorer Post 73 was just formed two weeks ago in Tucson.  Their council talked with our council and decided it was the right way to go.  Post 73 will be building the Post until their first big event, JOTA in Oct 2002.

                      ---Tom Sharp   WA9OXY
                      Phx'x Post 599 -- W7BSA

                      t_sharp wrote:

                      >  Kelly,
                      >
                      > Maybe Explorer Post 599 can help you.  We are the Phoenix area's Ham
                      > Radio Post, and we meet weekly near you in Mesa.  If you wish,
                      > contact me directly and we can chat off-line.  73
                      >
                      > ---Tom   WA9OXY
                      > Advisor, Post 599, Phoenix, AZ
                      > wa9oxy@...
                      >

                      > --- In scoutradio@y..., "Kelly Bersch" <ac7ew@a...> wrote:
                      > > I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally have a
                      > question.  I've
                      > > been asked if it's feasible to present the Radio Merit Badge at a
                      > Merit
                      > > Badge Clinic (in east Mesa, AZ).  They would like for the Scouts to
                      > be able
                      > > to complete all or most of the requirements at that time.  Has
                      > anyone done
                      > > this?  Any ideas?  All ideas are greatly appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > 73 de AC7EW
                      > > Kelly
                      >

                      >                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                                 [Image]

                      > ScoutRadio start page:

                    • Kelly Bersch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2002
                        I picked up (actually, my wife picked it up) the latest Radio Merit Badge
                        booklet from the Scout Shop on Wednesday. Yes, it has the 2002 changes.

                        73 de AC7EW
                        Kelly