New file uploaded to scoutradio

  • scoutradio@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the scoutradio
      group.

      File : / Place you bet online now!
      Uploaded by : larrnajninaek <larrnajninaek@...>
      Description : Securely place your sport bets online. Click above.

      You can access this file at the URL

      Regards,

      larrnajninaek <larrnajninaek@...>
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
        To the Scoutradio List Owner and/or Moderator--

        I STRONGLY urge that this list go to a moderated format, i.e. each
        message requires approval prior to posting. We are doing that with
        the HamsEF Group and it seems to work well, eliminating this type of
        garbage. Gambling Websites have no business being posted on a
        Scouting list.

        73 de Fred
        K2FRD

        --
        73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
          I believe Yahoo Groups lets you moderate just the file uploads. It might be
          best to moderate only that feature. As owner of a fully moderated list, I
          can tell you that it is a pain in the neck and can really slow the list
          down - especially when the moderator goes on holiday!
          73,
          Dave Colter, WA1ZCN

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
            At 07:41 -0400 03/06/2002, Dave Colter wrote:
            >I believe Yahoo Groups lets you moderate just the file uploads. It might be
            >best to moderate only that feature. As owner of a fully moderated list, I
            >can tell you that it is a pain in the neck and can really slow the list
            >down - especially when the moderator goes on holiday!
            >73,
            >Dave Colter, WA1ZCN

            Hi Dave--

            I'm moderator for two Yahoo groups, one of which is HamsEF in which
            the list Owner and I decided to go to full moderation due to spam
            and, in one instance, hate mail. Yes, it can be a royal pain if the
            list is busy, but the Owner and I let each other know if we're gonna
            be out of town so the other can watch the list. Also, the volume on
            that list is low enough so that it's not normally too much of a
            chore. But, the moderation of files would also be a good idea as an
            alternative to message approval.

            Another option might be to change to restricted membership instead of
            the present open membership, i.e. subscriber approval.

            Either/any way, it would be better than the spam. What do others think?
            --
            73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
            K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
            Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
            Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly newsletter (no cost, no spam):
            Send email to: mailto:thefred@... .
            For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
            http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .
          • n6mly
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
              I would consider changing the entire list to moderated only as a last
              resort. The volume on this list is low enough that it wouldn't be a huge
              moderator problem but still it would be a slowdown on the speed of
              communications.

              I don't see an option to in Yahoo groups to moderate just the file uploads.
              But rather then moderating all postings I would suggest the option to
              moderate new members only. Most of the trouble seems to come from
              new members who subscribe strictly for the purpose of causing trouble.

              You can also make the list "Restricted" (requiring moderator approval to
              join) but there still might be some who slip by. But the combination of
              both options should handle 99% of any spam troubles.

              My suggestions FWIW.

              Phil, n6mly

              -------------------
              >Another option might be to change to restricted membership instead of
              >the present open membership, i.e. subscriber approval.
              >Either/any way, it would be better than the spam. What do others think?
              >Fred Stevens K2FRD
            • Bill Stewart
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                The restricted method will be better. We can still advertise the list but it would keep the spammers out since each new user would have to be approved by the moderator(s).
                I moderate an restricted, unpublished/unlisted list for our Venturing Crew and it works very well. I don't have to moderate each post but it keeps the unwanted folks out.

                Bill Stewart. W2BSA

                Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:
                At 07:41 -0400 03/06/2002, Dave Colter wrote:
                >I believe Yahoo Groups lets you moderate just the file uploads. It might be
                >best to moderate only that feature. As owner of a fully moderated list, I
                >can tell you that it is a pain in the neck and can really slow the list
                >down - especially when the moderator goes on holiday!
                >73,
                >Dave Colter, WA1ZCN

                Hi Dave--

                I'm moderator for two Yahoo groups, one of which is HamsEF in which
                the list Owner and I decided to go to full moderation due to spam
                and, in one instance, hate mail. Yes, it can be a royal pain if the
                list is busy, but the Owner and I let each other know if we're gonna
                be out of town so the other can watch the list.  Also, the volume on
                that list is low enough so that it's not normally too much of a
                chore. But, the moderation of files would also be a good idea as an
                alternative to message approval.

                Another option might be to change to restricted membership instead of
                the present open membership, i.e. subscriber approval.

                Either/any way, it would be better than the spam. What do others think?
                --
                73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
                K2FRD Personal Adventure page:  http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
                Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
                Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly newsletter (no cost, no spam):
                      Send email to:  mailto:thefred@...  .
                For a narrative of my VO2/K2FRD Labrador DXpediton:
                      http://www.wpe.com/~oarc/news/page5.html .

              • Richard A. Blank
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                  The fact of the matter is, that someone posted a file to the files area
                  that should not have been put there. The message is an automatic
                  notification that the file was uploaded. The moderator/owner can delete
                  the file and ban the member that posted the file from the group
                  permanently.

                  Rick WB3BSA
                  P. S. I am the owner/moderator for 6 other groups which are all
                  non-public and we have not had this problem.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the scoutradio
                    group.

                    File : /JOTA Pamphlet.doc
                    Uploaded by : wb2boo <k2gw@...>
                    Description : 2003 JOTA Pamphlet for Scout Leaders

                    wb2boo <k2gw@...>
                  • scoutradio@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 12, 2003
                      Hello,

                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the scoutradio
                      group.

                      File : /JOTA Pamphlet.doc
                      Uploaded by : wb2boo <k2gw@...>
                      Description : JOTA Pamphlet for Scout Leaders (revised)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 26, 2003
                        Hello,

                        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the scoutradio
                        group.

                        File : /Scout MB Ceriticate.doc
                        Uploaded by : wb2boo <k2gw@...>
                        Description : Field Day MB Requirement Cert