Re: [scoutradio] Re: FRS Radios at Camp

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2002
      On Sun, 12 May 2002, Dave Colter wrote:

      > the two camps each week, the channels are getting rather busy. The staff
      > has had to "assign" specific channels to each troop to reduce
      > congestion. One channel (I don't recall which) is used to call camp
      > staff in an emergency.

      I agree, and one of the important concepts in my SCOUTING FRS RADIO
      GUIDELINES was that troops assign themselves their own channel and tones
      according to a standard guildeline so that at any time, anyone can figure
      out what their channel and tone is, so that they can be contacted with out
      prior knowledge in case of emergency.

      SCOUTING FRS RADIO CODE: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2002
        > ... I would never discourage a Scout from bringing a HAM radio into
        > camp, in fact I encourage them to bring a radio and teach others what it
        > is and how it works.

        Take a look at our local project: SHACKS-FOR-PACKS (&troops &posts).

        This project gets local HAM clubs to build a Home-Depot shed (HAM SHACK)
        at their local scout camp to serve as a "place" for learning about Radio.
        Both FRS and HAM are included. See the project:

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        I have held off posting this nationally until we know if it is going to
        fly here. And I did not want to mess up my Email with comments from all
        over becuase I have no way to know who is local to our camp and who is
        just commenting in general. But since it is such a neat idea, I figured
        I may as well share it before its too late for this summer...

        So far no one (except for the usual naysayers) has found any problem with
        it...

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • Dave Colter
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2002
          I think our staff requested that CTCSS tones not be used, since they make it more difficult for a camp staff member to quickly switch channels to call a particular Scoutmaster. Setting the channel, and then the tone just caused an unnecessary delay. Our reservation is sufficiently isolated from "civilization" so we don't have any co-channel interference from other users.
          Dave Colter

             Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
             From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
          Subject: Re: Re: FRS Radios at Camp

          On Sun, 12 May 2002, Dave Colter wrote:

          > the two camps each week, the channels are getting rather busy. The staff
          > has had to "assign" specific channels to each troop to reduce
          > congestion. One channel (I don't recall which) is used to call camp
          > staff in an emergency.

          I agree, and one of the important concepts in my SCOUTING FRS RADIO
          GUIDELINES was that troops assign themselves their own channel and tones
          according to a standard guideline so that at any time, anyone can figure
          out what their channel and tone is, so that they can be contacted with out
          prior knowledge in case of emergency.

          SCOUTING FRS RADIO CODE:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

          de WB4APR, Bob

        • Richard A. Blank
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2002
            I believe this may be a vailid point.  In an emergency, seconds count and using FRS as a communications tool without the tones would facilitate faster communications and help.

            Rick

               Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
               From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2002
              On Wed, 15 May 2002, Richard A. Blank wrote:

              > I believe this may be a vailid point. In an emergency, seconds count
              > and using FRS as a communications tool without the tones would
              > facilitate faster communications and help.
              >
              > Dave Colter wrote:
              >
              > > I think our staff requested that CTCSS tones not be used, since they
              > > make it more difficult for a camp staff member to quickly switch
              > > channels to call a particular Scoutmaster. Setting the channel, and
              > > then the tone just caused an unnecessary delay....

              Thanks! I agree completely and added revisions to my posted FRS SCOUTING
              CODE:

              http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

              Do you think I got it right or need to be even stonger in my
              receommendations against tones...?

              de WB4APR< Bob