Re: [scoutradio] Car Caravans...

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 14 , May 13 2:26 AM
      Here, Here!!!!

      73,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      Roger Woods wrote:

      > Could we please take this to somewhere where it is ON TOPIC!
      >
      > This has nothing to do with Radio and I am totally unconcered about
      > BSA rules and regs unless they effect radio.
      >
      > Sorry guys but this is getting out of hand.
      >
      > Roger G8XAN
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ed/ediets/06042002_300x250_orange_01.gif>
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/A=1046314/R=1/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>
      >
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/A=1046314/R=2/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>
      >
      > Height: ft in
      > Weight:
      > Sex: F M

      > ScoutRadio start page:

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 14 , May 13 7:06 AM
        > Could we please take this to somewhere where it is ON TOPIC! This has
        > nothing to do with Radio and I am totally unconcered about BSA rules and
        > regs unless they effect radio.

        Wow, I disagree completely. The rules on CONVOY and (incorrect
        interpretation as it applies to caravans) is exactly a RADIO issue.
        Knowing and understanding the safety guidelines helps us integrate RADIO
        into the scout training and education programs. Vehicles traveling to a
        SCOUT venue is the #1 application for radio!

        How to get BSA to endores RADIO and to make it a part of the Scouting
        learning experience is my #1 goal in subscribing to this list. We must
        find a way to get RADIO education into the souting program (I think it
        should be a TENDERFOOT requirement to know about FRS, PL tones, Squelch
        and how to operate a radio).

        If we dont get this FRS mess under some LEADERSHIP we as HAMS are going to
        suffer as "radio" becomes a "toy", banned from all venue's due to the
        illiteracy of the few...

        See my SHACKS-4-PACKS project:

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        And read it carefully. It is not just a SHED. It is a foot in the door
        to get BSA to recognize RADIO as something that MUST BE TAUGHT.

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 14 , May 13 10:18 AM
          Couldn't agree with you more Bob. I said "Here, Here" because we were
          getting bogged down with the ad nausium quoting and
          re-quoting of BSA regs and NO-ONE saying anything useful.
          The best way I know of to avoid the caravan issue is to get everyone FRS
          or even better GET LICENSED. Running mobile on simplex
          is far better than FRS since your range is much longer. You don't have
          to see the next car.
          If you are the leader you can tell others where you are going.

          My 2 cents

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA

          Bob Bruninga wrote:

          > > Could we please take this to somewhere where it is ON TOPIC! This has
          > > nothing to do with Radio and I am totally unconcered about BSA rules and
          > > regs unless they effect radio.
          >
          > Wow, I disagree completely. The rules on CONVOY and (incorrect
          > interpretation as it applies to caravans) is exactly a RADIO issue.
          > Knowing and understanding the safety guidelines helps us integrate RADIO
          > into the scout training and education programs. Vehicles traveling to a
          > SCOUT venue is the #1 application for radio!
          >
          > How to get BSA to endores RADIO and to make it a part of the Scouting
          > learning experience is my #1 goal in subscribing to this list. We must
          > find a way to get RADIO education into the souting program (I think it
          > should be a TENDERFOOT requirement to know about FRS, PL tones, Squelch
          > and how to operate a radio).
          >
          > If we dont get this FRS mess under some LEADERSHIP we as HAMS are going to
          > suffer as "radio" becomes a "toy", banned from all venue's due to the
          > illiteracy of the few...
          >
          > See my SHACKS-4-PACKS project:
          >
          > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html
          > <http://www.ew.usna.edu/%7Ebruninga/shacks4packs.html>
          >
          > And read it carefully. It is not just a SHED. It is a foot in the door
          > to get BSA to recognize RADIO as something that MUST BE TAUGHT.
          >
          > de WB4APR, Bob
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > ScoutRadio start page:

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Roger Woods
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13 10:27 AM
            Sorry but I see little correlation discuss Radio by all means but remember that:

            1. This list is international.
            2. Your problem appears to be specific to BSA - we have Scout radio badges in UK.
            3. In most of the arguments I saw little to do with radio and more about stopping, maps routes etc.

            Take it to your own scouting group news topic. Please.

            Thanks

            Roger G8XAN

            p.s. I could also chat re foundation licence and Scouts but would not - its more appropriate to UK and their channels.
          • Bill Stewart
            Message 5 of 14 , May 13 10:44 AM
              Roger I would dare say that the problem is not limited to BSA. I'm sure
              that the equivalent publication in the UK to our "Guide to Safe
              Scouting" addresses the
              issue as well. The point that BOB and I make is that RADIO is a solution
              to the problem. We should be encouraging all of our Leaders to learn
              about RADIO
              and teach the youngsters about RADIO's uses. Our various RADIO Merit
              badges are only one way to do it.

              73,

              Bill, W2BSA

              Roger Woods wrote:

              > Sorry but I see little correlation discuss Radio by all means but
              > remember that:
              >
              > 1. This list is international.
              > 2. Your problem appears to be specific to BSA - we have Scout radio
              > badges in UK.
              > 3. In most of the arguments I saw little to do with radio and more
              > about stopping, maps routes etc.
              >

              > Take it to your own scouting group news topic. Please.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Roger G8XAN
              >
              > p.s. I could also chat re foundation licence and Scouts but would not
              > - its more appropriate to UK and their channels.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > ScoutRadio start page:

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Carter J Wood
              Message 6 of 14 , May 13 12:56 PM
                Here's another idea - let's all just gripe and grouse
                at each other - pick apart every statement and opinion
                as if the whole world of Ham Radio and Scouting
                pivoted on the most minor point. A Scout is Cheerful.

                Maybe I'm lucky - my email does not charge for every
                message and it does have a 'Delete' key for any note
                that might offend my sensitivities.

                AG4LK

                =====
                Carter J Wood
                SE288, SR-X, NAUMS
                Council Commissioner
                Northeast Georgia Council

                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com
              • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13 1:05 PM
                  At 18:27 +0100 13/05/2002, Roger Woods wrote:

                  >p.s. I could also chat re foundation licence and Scouts but would
                  >not - its more appropriate to UK and their channels.

                  I wouldn't mind hearing about the foundation license and UK Scouting.
                  I know little about either.
                  --
                  73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm