FRS Radios at Camp

  • Max Manghelli
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12 10:34 PM
      My experience as a staff member at both of our council
      camps is that FRS when used as a tool by the SMs and
      SPLs is a good thing, I have seen problems with Scouts
      running amuck treating them as toys.

      We will probably be making the "suggestion" that FRS
      radios be used only by SMs and SPLs in the future. One
      of the things I will be watching is the usage of these
      radios in camp this summer, and making suggestions to
      the council this fall for next year.

      The camps current position on Electronic devices is to
      leave them at home as they take away from the camp
      experience, however, when looking around camp, two-way
      radios (mostly FRS) seem abundant among campers.

      One thing for sure is I would never discourage a Scout
      from bringing a HAM radio into camp, in fact I
      encourage them to bring a radio and teach others what
      it is and how it works.

      Max Manghelli - KD7GES

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13 6:23 AM
        On Sun, 12 May 2002, Dave Colter wrote:

        > the two camps each week, the channels are getting rather busy. The staff
        > has had to "assign" specific channels to each troop to reduce
        > congestion. One channel (I don't recall which) is used to call camp
        > staff in an emergency.

        I agree, and one of the important concepts in my SCOUTING FRS RADIO
        GUIDELINES was that troops assign themselves their own channel and tones
        according to a standard guildeline so that at any time, anyone can figure
        out what their channel and tone is, so that they can be contacted with out
        prior knowledge in case of emergency.

        SCOUTING FRS RADIO CODE: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13 6:56 AM
          > ... I would never discourage a Scout from bringing a HAM radio into
          > camp, in fact I encourage them to bring a radio and teach others what it
          > is and how it works.

          Take a look at our local project: SHACKS-FOR-PACKS (&troops &posts).

          This project gets local HAM clubs to build a Home-Depot shed (HAM SHACK)
          at their local scout camp to serve as a "place" for learning about Radio.
          Both FRS and HAM are included. See the project:

          http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

          I have held off posting this nationally until we know if it is going to
          fly here. And I did not want to mess up my Email with comments from all
          over becuase I have no way to know who is local to our camp and who is
          just commenting in general. But since it is such a neat idea, I figured
          I may as well share it before its too late for this summer...

          So far no one (except for the usual naysayers) has found any problem with
          it...

          de WB4APR, Bob
        • Dave Colter
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13 7:04 PM
            I think our staff requested that CTCSS tones not be used, since they make it more difficult for a camp staff member to quickly switch channels to call a particular Scoutmaster. Setting the channel, and then the tone just caused an unnecessary delay. Our reservation is sufficiently isolated from "civilization" so we don't have any co-channel interference from other users.
            Dave Colter

               Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
               From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
            Subject: Re: Re: FRS Radios at Camp

            On Sun, 12 May 2002, Dave Colter wrote:

            > the two camps each week, the channels are getting rather busy. The staff
            > has had to "assign" specific channels to each troop to reduce
            > congestion. One channel (I don't recall which) is used to call camp
            > staff in an emergency.

            I agree, and one of the important concepts in my SCOUTING FRS RADIO
            GUIDELINES was that troops assign themselves their own channel and tones
            according to a standard guideline so that at any time, anyone can figure
            out what their channel and tone is, so that they can be contacted with out
            prior knowledge in case of emergency.

            SCOUTING FRS RADIO CODE:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

            de WB4APR, Bob

          • Richard A. Blank
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14 7:22 PM
              I believe this may be a vailid point.  In an emergency, seconds count and using FRS as a communications tool without the tones would facilitate faster communications and help.

              Rick

                 Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
                 From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , May 15 2:52 PM
                On Wed, 15 May 2002, Richard A. Blank wrote:

                > I believe this may be a vailid point. In an emergency, seconds count
                > and using FRS as a communications tool without the tones would
                > facilitate faster communications and help.
                >
                > Dave Colter wrote:
                >
                > > I think our staff requested that CTCSS tones not be used, since they
                > > make it more difficult for a camp staff member to quickly switch
                > > channels to call a particular Scoutmaster. Setting the channel, and
                > > then the tone just caused an unnecessary delay....

                Thanks! I agree completely and added revisions to my posted FRS SCOUTING
                CODE:

                http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

                Do you think I got it right or need to be even stonger in my
                receommendations against tones...?

                de WB4APR< Bob