Re: WELCOME to the scoutradio mail list!

  • Martin A. Flynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 1969
      At 05:50 PM 7/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: "Jon Pearl W4ABC" <w4abc@...>
      >
      >Are you a ham Martin?

      No. One day I'll sit down to take the test. Most likely when one of my
      fellow scouters drag me from my bed & demand that I take it <grin>.

      Martin

      Martin A. Flynn
      http://www.seascout.net
      admin@...
    • Martin A. Flynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 1969
        > I would like to welcome everyone who has joined the Scout-Radio mail list.
        There has not been much activity from most of the members of the list, so I
        would like to invite each of you to send a msg outlining (briefly) your
        interest in this list. Please add any comments on how you are promoting
        Scouting and Ham Radio (or FRS radio) where you live. Thanks and again Welcome!

        Neil,
        I am the communications support person for the Sea Scouts in my Council
        (Consolidated Council, was Watchung & Morris-Sussex). I have passed along
        the ScoutRadio info to my senior DE & he placed it each unit's mailbox at
        the office.

        So far we (the Sea Scouts) have not moved any of our resources from
        commercial UHF to FRS simply because of the grandfathered local commercial
        users on FRS/GMRS.

        In case anyone is interested, our comms gear includes:
        Motorola R100 repeater (on board one of our boats)
        Motorola GP300 handhelds
        Motorola MICOM-X HF
        SGC-2000 HF

        In Cheerful Service!

        Martin

        Martin A. Flynn
        http://www.seascout.net
        admin@...
      • w4nhl@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 1999
          I would like to welcome everyone who has joined the Scout-Radio mail list. There has not been much activity from most of the members of the list, so I would like to invite each of you to send a msg outlining (briefly) your interest in this list. Please add any comments on how you are promoting Scouting and Ham Radio (or FSR radio) where you live. Thanks and again Welcome!

          YIS & 73,

          Neil, W4NHL
          West Central Florida Area Council
        • Jon Pearl W4ABC
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 1999
            > I am the communications support person for the Sea Scouts in my Council
            > (Consolidated Council, was Watchung & Morris-Sussex). I have passed along
            > the ScoutRadio info to my senior DE & he placed it each unit's mailbox at
            > the office.
            >
            > So far we (the Sea Scouts) have not moved any of our resources from
            > commercial UHF to FRS simply because of the grandfathered local commercial
            > users on FRS/GMRS.
            >
            > In case anyone is interested, our comms gear includes:
            > Motorola R100 repeater (on board one of our boats)
            > Motorola GP300 handhelds
            > Motorola MICOM-X HF
            > SGC-2000 HF
            >
            > In Cheerful Service!
            >
            > Martin
            >

            > Martin A. Flynn
            > http://www.seascout.net
            > admin@...

            Hi Martin, et al...

            It sounds like your doing it right - now!

            A few on the list have Advocated using FRS as a means to break into the more
            versatile arena of Amateur Radio. Seeing as the radio's are: 1) cheap, 2)
            FM, 3) UHF, 4) utilize PL, 5) multi-channel, they could easily be confused
            with any of the small "Amateur" handheld transceivers, in the way they
            operate. Good 'icebreakers.'

            Are you a ham Martin?

            YIS

            Jon Pearl W4ABC

            >>>-------->Scout Sertoma's>>>-------->
            "West Central Florida ScoutRadio Network"
            Delivering the PROMISE 24 Hours a day!
            Building an Amateur Radio System for Scouting families -
            Scouters, and the friends of Scouting!
            ================== WA4BSA ====================
            Pinellas St. Petersburg - 145.470 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
            Dunedin HUB - 145.210 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
            Dunedin HUB - 444.750 MHz pl 127.3 Hz Online!
            Seminole/Largo area --------- Future Plans
            Pasco Holiday area --------------------- Future Plans
            Hernando Sandhill Scout Reservation - Future Plans
            "Values" and "Character Building"
            for the next millenium's newest leaders.

            "BE PREPARED"

            Scout Sertoma is a 501 (c) (3) charity.
            Donations gladly accepted.
          • Jon Pearl W4ABC
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 1999
              > From: w4nhl@...
              >

              > I would like to welcome everyone who has joined the Scout-Radio mail
              list. There has not been much activity from most of the members of the list,
              so I would like to invite each of you to send a msg outlining (briefly) your
              interest in this list. Please add any comments on how you are promoting
              Scouting and Ham Radio (or FSR radio) where you live. Thanks and again
              Welcome!

              > YIS & 73,
              >
              > Neil, W4NHL
              > West Central Florida Area Council

              When last I looked Neil, we were at 30 subscribers. There always seems to
              be a rise in list numbers following one of my QST's on either the
              rec.scouting.usa NG or SCOUTS-L@.... "Onelist" makes it easy
              to sign on, and find other similar list's too. I am sure many people have
              fallen upon us by using keywords such as 'scout' or 'radio' when in fact
              they weren't looking for us to begin with. All together not too bad
              considering we are a niche' market within another niche' market.

              For those of you that are already holding license classes, I am envious.
              Some months ago, my partner and I - Dan Johnson (W4BNC) made an offer when a
              bunch of us put on a demonstration at our yearly "Scouts Spectacular." We
              offered the first ten boys to pass the Technician class license a brand new
              Alinco 2m radio. We put the cart before the horse I suspect because they
              are winging it on their own (with materials supplied by Kenwood) and finding
              it hard at best to break into the hobby in this unconventional (now-a-days)
              approach.

              Dan and I have decided that we truly need to have our system up and running
              when we decide to tackle the teaching end of things, and to round up the
              resources of the local clubs for that purpose. It seems that there is more
              'testing' than teaching anymore. With the simple fact that there are small
              numbers taking exams anymore, it might bode well for us in this area
              (geographic), to become more pro-active in this arena. I personally am not
              an engineer, but then again, I have seen those who weren't, do a perfectly
              good job at it, so maybe I should quit being so anal-retentive about it, and
              just help to develop a game plan.

              I am so glad to see that there is an interest amongst Scouters in Amateur
              Radio (you can't all be Hams right?). It truly is the 'super hobby' and has
              the ability to teach youngsters so much more than just what you see on the
              face of it - 'radio.'

              Given the fact that local communities are actually coming to grips with the
              reality that they 'do' in fact need a helping hand from time to time,
              Amateur Radio can fill the bill. Communications in business is no different
              than communications on any other level. Without it, you operate in a vacuum
              and nothing happens in vacuum. Communications needed to run local
              government can be wiped out in a single stroke with the power of a
              hurricane.

              Many times we hear it said, "Don't do anything that a boy can do for
              himself." With proper instruction, a boy can easily run emergency nets
              given some adult oversight at the inception. Talk about teaching
              'leadership skills' - 'emergency preparedness' and a sense of local and
              nationalistic pride to boot!

              Well off of the soap box - it's time to get a bite to eat.

              73 YIS

              Jon Pearl W4ABC