Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 273

  • Michael Derek Barnett
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12 12:06 AM
      Je Saturday 11 May 2002 20:38, ray@... skribis:
      > One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
      > back from a council training session. She
      > was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
      > home... should not be brought to Council Events
      > or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)

      The only way this could be happening is if the FRS radios in question are
      transmitting harmonics on those frequencies. I'd have to go look up the FRS
      frequencies again, but I sincerely doubt this is a widespread problem, if it
      even exists at all. Certainly sounds like bunk, as a previous poster pointed
      out.

      > She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
      > various events either!

      Bunk, too. What business is it of theirs anyway?
      --><--
      -derek

      "Don't lean your canoe-antenna against a tree without making sure it is
      insulated."
      David Herbert Hatch
    • Thomas H. Bosworth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12 11:11 AM
        >>She was also told that folks should not "caravan" to various events
        either!

        A "caravan" to any Scouting event is against Scout policy (see the guide to
        safe Scouting).
        However, the reality is that most units leave from the the same parking lot
        in their community at the same time, stop & the same rest areas when
        necessary, & miraculously arrive at the Scouting event at the same time!!!
        The FRS issue is pure bunk. Tell her shes wrong on the radio issue.
        --
        Tom "polarcub" Bosworth
        www.bsa13.com