Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 273

  • Joseph W. Nolan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2002
      Please inform this newbie as to what a FRS radio is? Handheld??

      Joe Nolan-KB7WDI

    • Ray Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2002
        From: <ray@...>

        > One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
        > back from a council training session.

        Funny, I did, too, a couple of weeks ago. BALOO and Webelos Leader training. :-)

        > She was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
        > home... should not be brought to Council Events
        > or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)

        Bunk. That council needs to know the difference. (And I'm curious to know what their "Camp Frequency" is. Chances are,
        they're one of the so-called "dot" frequencies, which we all know the FCC more or less abandoned enforcement of those
        frequencies a couple of years ago.

        > She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
        > various events either! and 2. Lifeguards with current
        > certification are now Required, not "highly recommended".

        As to #1, if you fill out the proper forms, including vehicles and their tag numbers, then you're covered under the Scouts'
        insurance.

        As to #2... hmmm. I may have been dozing a bit at that point, but I think she's right. But methinks that's not for
        discussion here. :-)

        _Ray_ KB0STN
        DA, Den 3, Pack 77
        Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
        raybrown@...
      • Michael Derek Barnett
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2002
          Je Saturday 11 May 2002 20:38, ray@... skribis:
          > One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
          > back from a council training session. She
          > was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
          > home... should not be brought to Council Events
          > or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)

          The only way this could be happening is if the FRS radios in question are
          transmitting harmonics on those frequencies. I'd have to go look up the FRS
          frequencies again, but I sincerely doubt this is a widespread problem, if it
          even exists at all. Certainly sounds like bunk, as a previous poster pointed
          out.

          > She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
          > various events either!

          Bunk, too. What business is it of theirs anyway?
          --><--
          -derek

          "Don't lean your canoe-antenna against a tree without making sure it is
          insulated."
          David Herbert Hatch
        • Thomas H. Bosworth
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2002
            >>She was also told that folks should not "caravan" to various events
            either!

            A "caravan" to any Scouting event is against Scout policy (see the guide to
            safe Scouting).
            However, the reality is that most units leave from the the same parking lot
            in their community at the same time, stop & the same rest areas when
            necessary, & miraculously arrive at the Scouting event at the same time!!!
            The FRS issue is pure bunk. Tell her shes wrong on the radio issue.
            --
            Tom "polarcub" Bosworth
            www.bsa13.com