Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 273

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2002
      One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
      back from a council training session. She
      was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
      home... should not be brought to Council Events
      or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)
      She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
      various events either! and 2. Lifeguards with current
      certification are now Required, not "highly recommended".

      I have not investigated this yet, but that was the
      report I got from the leader. It may be worthwhile to have the more
      knowledgeable ham types formally advise national camping
      committees on good and useful in formation to pass on to local
      councils etc. There seems to be some mis-information
      and over-zealous folks at work.

      The low power and uhf freq ranges of FRS is highly
      unlikely to interfere with other services. Though not
      perfect, they provide a nice, cheap communications
      and safety tool to unit leaders. It would be a shame
      for them to be discouraged accross the board as
      other "electronic toys" are... and should be.

      I'll pass on more as I hear it.

      73 de N1RY
      Ray

      On 10 May 02, at 19:04, scoutradio@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > ScoutRadio start page:

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Scouts FRS Radio Guidelines
      > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
      > Subject: Re: Scouts FRS Radio Guidelines
      >
      > On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, I posted a SCOUTING FRS RADIO CODE...
      >
      > If you are interested, I edited it some today to make a better
      > uderstanding of what is different about FRS and "radio". The new wording
      > shows scouts how FRS was designed for consumers to be a CELL-PHONE
      > clone for one-on-one comms. THus they have those silly RING tones and
      > CALL buttons.
      >
      > But in a "radio net" on a shared channel with lots of people (like
      > Scouting applications), these ring tones and CALL buttons actually
      > INTERFERE with good communicatinos techinique..
      >
      > I posted the SOUTING FRS RADIO CODE on:
      >
      > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt
      >
      > de WB4APR, Bob

    • Joseph W. Nolan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2002
        Please inform this newbie as to what a FRS radio is? Handheld??

        Joe Nolan-KB7WDI

      • Ray Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2002
          From: <ray@...>

          > One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
          > back from a council training session.

          Funny, I did, too, a couple of weeks ago. BALOO and Webelos Leader training. :-)

          > She was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
          > home... should not be brought to Council Events
          > or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)

          Bunk. That council needs to know the difference. (And I'm curious to know what their "Camp Frequency" is. Chances are,
          they're one of the so-called "dot" frequencies, which we all know the FCC more or less abandoned enforcement of those
          frequencies a couple of years ago.

          > She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
          > various events either! and 2. Lifeguards with current
          > certification are now Required, not "highly recommended".

          As to #1, if you fill out the proper forms, including vehicles and their tag numbers, then you're covered under the Scouts'
          insurance.

          As to #2... hmmm. I may have been dozing a bit at that point, but I think she's right. But methinks that's not for
          discussion here. :-)

          _Ray_ KB0STN
          DA, Den 3, Pack 77
          Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
          raybrown@...
        • Michael Derek Barnett
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2002
            Je Saturday 11 May 2002 20:38, ray@... skribis:
            > One of the leaders in my Cub Unit just came
            > back from a council training session. She
            > was told that "FRS Radios should be kept at
            > home... should not be brought to Council Events
            > or Camp." They interfere with Camp Freqs (150's mhz +/-)

            The only way this could be happening is if the FRS radios in question are
            transmitting harmonics on those frequencies. I'd have to go look up the FRS
            frequencies again, but I sincerely doubt this is a widespread problem, if it
            even exists at all. Certainly sounds like bunk, as a previous poster pointed
            out.

            > She was also told that 1. folks should not "caravan" to
            > various events either!

            Bunk, too. What business is it of theirs anyway?
            --><--
            -derek

            "Don't lean your canoe-antenna against a tree without making sure it is
            insulated."
            David Herbert Hatch
          • Thomas H. Bosworth
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2002
              >>She was also told that folks should not "caravan" to various events
              either!

              A "caravan" to any Scouting event is against Scout policy (see the guide to
              safe Scouting).
              However, the reality is that most units leave from the the same parking lot
              in their community at the same time, stop & the same rest areas when
              necessary, & miraculously arrive at the Scouting event at the same time!!!
              The FRS issue is pure bunk. Tell her shes wrong on the radio issue.
              --
              Tom "polarcub" Bosworth
              www.bsa13.com