Re: [Scout Mlist] RE: BSA Prohibits all Radios?

  • Jon Pearl W4ABC
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 1999
      From: George A. Makrauer <georgem@...>
      To: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
      Cc: SCOUTRADIO@onelist.com <scoutradio@onelist.com>; SCOUTRADIO@...
      <scoutradio@...>; CARS <cars@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 10:49 AM
      Subject: [Scout Mlist] RE: BSA Prohibits all Radios?

      > An objective to benefit the Scouts (and the hobby) would be for BSA to
      implement
      > a Merit Badge or other program or whatever (been long, long, long time
      since I
      > was a Scout) based on Amateur Radio. Not only could line of sight comms
      be part
      > of it, but the ability to provide international Internet email capability
      via HF
      > or V/UHF links (and a whole host of other outdoor comms; emergency and
      > convenience) would be right up the Scouts' alley (or trail), so to speak.
      >
      > GAM w4tif

      Hi George and all.

      There is in fact a "Radio" merit badge. The latest pamphlet is dated 1996
      and my latest one, was printed in 1998. They do get updated every so often,
      and I suspect
      this one too will be in need of an overhaul once the FCC decides to drop the
      slipper.

      From the looks of things, there are a number of Amateurs listed in the
      "Acknowledgments" section at the back of the pamphlet. The list is as
      follows: Rosalie White - WA1STO; Mary Carcia - N7IAl; Robin M. Micket -
      N1WAL; Michael F. Brown - WB2JWD and Laurence A. Eichel - K2NA.

      The ARRL's work is evident throughout the pamphlet with the many charts and
      pictures.

      The Merit Badge requirements listed are broad based, with a twist! There
      are some eight multi-part requirements. Most of the requirements are taken
      right out of publications that you all know and love, and although most
      merit badge pamphlets tend to hit just the highlights and allow the merit
      badge counselors (you and I) to 'round out' the Scout's knowledge base, this
      one gives a pretty good overview and many of the requirements needed to
      become an amateur. Requirement 7 allows the Scout to follow one of three
      routes: (a,b, or c):

      a. AMATEUR RADIO

      (1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
      the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.

      (2) Carry on a ten-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
      Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations. (licensed
      ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
      with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)

      (3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
      log at least two amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least
      two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often
      amateur radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

      (4) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
      listening.

      (5) Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
      Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
      amateur radio exams.

      (6)Explain how you would make an emergency call using voice or Morse code.
      Tell why the Federal Communications Commission has an amateur radio service.

      (7) discuss handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain the
      uses of mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

      b. BROADCAST RADIO

      c. SHORTWAVE RADIO

      Both NASA and the ARRL have a ton of influence in the makeup of this
      pamphlet. The very first picture facing the introduction is that of NASA
      Shuttle Commander Ken Cameron and Shuttle Pilot Steve Oswald in front of the
      Shuttle Discovery, shortly after a successful landing. Both are licensed
      Radio Amateurs.

      In the Introduction, the authors in fact say "With a ham radio hobby
      license, you might talk to ham radio operator King Hussein of Jordan or with
      KLUGE, Barry Goldwater, a former United States Senator from Arizona.

      Since the publication is by and large, put together by Amateur Radio
      operators, (Their influence is quite pervasive throughout) some updating of
      material, and a shift in material emphasis needs to take place. The meat
      and potatoes stuff, you know, "electronics theory" doesn't change, while the
      face of the hobby is more computer oriented (read, digital modes) now, there
      is little mention of this in the pamphlet.

      With GPS, APRS, Packet, and a Phase 3D satellite trying to make it's debut,
      there is a need to redirect some of the effort in revamping this publication
      in it's next permutation to try and make more print space available for the
      modes that are not only going to grab the next prospective merit badge
      recipient's attention, but also bring in that new Radio Amateur. There have
      been many worthy 'alliances' formed over the years between the BSA and
      organizations such as the American Red Cross; the Salvation Army and
      Goodwill Industries. I personally don't see a problem with making mention
      of the fact that these 'strategic' alliances exist in Amateur Radio also,
      with the ultimate benefit, being the public at large with a heavy emphasis
      on "emergency preparedness." (I have that merit badge pamphlet too)

      And Bob... I have heard such horror stories as yours before. With the
      "Unified Unitarian Church" (GAY) and organizations such as the "Scouting for
      All" (GAY) and the "AC-LUoosers" trying to strip the Boy Scouts of America
      of it's U.S. charter, there is no doubt a bit of a defensive mechanism at
      work here today. The problem is, they (paid professionals in the BSA) need
      to understand better who the enemy is. It is not the rank and file, unpaid
      commissioned personnel. The program has been around in this country since
      1910, and works very well. But... there is always room for improvement, and
      this sometimes means invoking that dirty word - "Change."

      YIS

      73,

      Jon Pearl W4ABC

      West Central Florida ScoutRadio Network
      Located in the...
      West Central Florida Council BSA
      Located in the soon to be ARRL...
      West Central Florida Section
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 1999
        Jon,
        Great research. SOunds like the merit badge is a pretty good piece of
        work. Oh, you mentioned Rosalie White at the ARRL, and I find her to be
        a good level headed thinker. I chatted with her briefly at Dayton and
        mentioned FRS radios and if the ARRL is going to address them in any way.

        I was glad to hear that she also has been thinking about FRS radios and
        how they can be used to advantage in promoting radio and amateur radio.
        But I did notice that she lowered her voice and looked around fertively
        for spies before chatting openly about them... hi hi

        bob