Weekend Lawyer bait...

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      Here's an "illegal" one for the shack-lawyers:

      My 13 yr old licensed daughter is going on a backpacking trip and will be
      carrying an FRS (for comms amongst the scouts). She does not want to lug
      along a HAM radio too. (Every ounce hurts after a 3 day weekend of
      carrying everything)... I'd like to keep in touch, but I am 40 miles
      away.

      What if we put an FRS in a box with her 2m rig and left it in the car in
      the parking lot (on a central hill) and put them both on VOX and PL.

      The scouts would operate on FRS channel X with no PL. Only my daughter
      knows the PL of the FRS in the box. Now, I can transmit from home on VHF
      with the correct PL for the VHF radio to hear me and the FRS will key up
      and she will hear me just like anyone else in her group. But no one will
      key up the return link but her, because she only selects the correct PL
      when she wants to talk to me.

      Legal? No for lots of nit-picking reasons... and we will let all the
      lawyers list them... But then conversly, everything is done more or less
      within the spirit of the rules:

      1) FRS is operated entirely within the spirit of FRS. No mods to the
      radio, no mods to antennas, power, or controls. No non-type approved
      interfaces to any FRS radio. No attempts to extend the RF range of FRS in
      any way. My daughter and I are using it for family communications over
      short range.

      2) Similarly, We are both licenesed HAMS. We are communicating on 2m via
      HAM radio. I am the control operator of my station, and my daughter is
      the control operator of her's (left in the car.)

      3) You could go one step further if you wanted, and say that she is
      operating her 2m rig in the car as an auxilliary station under remote
      control on a frequency above 225 MHz... ;-)

      4) She has taken extra ordinary steps to prevent unlicensed access to her
      station. That is she has a control scheme that reduces the chances of
      someone controlling her station to less than 0.0018... pretty darn small
      way out in the woods..

      Don't worry, I'm not going to do this... but it was an interesting
      idea... If you ever do expect to provide emergency communications,
      sometimes it is worthwhile to think out side of the box in advance so that
      if you need to rig up something under stress, you have already thought it
      out beforehand...

      Having lobbed that one over the fence...
      Ducking for cover...

      Bob, WB4APR
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2002
        A year or so ago I wrote about getting the Boy Scouts organization to
        endorse FRS radio communications and incorporate simple radio skills
        training into their programs. In otherwords, the understanding of how to
        call on a radio by giving the "call" of the station you are calling
        followed by your "call".

        And encouraging scouts to use their Troop number and initials as a call,
        to help distinguish people in large gatherings.

        Does anyone know if anyone has codified the integration of FRS into
        scouting in any document or web page so that I can refer to it with my
        local council?

        THanks
        de WB4APR@..., Bob