Summer Camp Nets?

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2002
      Hello Again.

      Well my first question about summer camp operations got a few responces lets
      try another discussion.

      Is there a scout net on any HF frequency already? If not lets make one
      during the summer camp season. What do you think?

      OK my Summer camp operations currently planned, as a few of you have emailed
      me inquiring, will include:

      Equipment: 2 HF stations (IC-706MK), tuner, G5RV (counter pointed),
      Computer possible(PSK31?)

      Operations: When: June 31 - July 6, Hours: 6:30am-10:00pm ET if
      available
      Where: Camp Liberty, Heritage Reservation, Greater
      Pittsburgh Council
      70 miles SSE of Pittsburgh, PA
      Who: KB3DHC Alan, ASM TR377
      KB3BZX Rob, ASM TR329
      W3EXW Possible callsign used during
      operations, furnished by NHARC

      Approval: Has been enthusiastically approved by the camp director as an
      enhancement to the camp's
      merit badge program. How? For the past 2 years I was able to have the
      Weather MB scouts ask the Meteorologists
      at NWS PIT questions via WX3PIT and my HT, and I invite the camp director to
      participate.

      Lets get Talking!

      73

      Alan KB3DHC
      kb3dhc@...
      ASM TR 377, GPC
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
        Here's an "illegal" one for the shack-lawyers:

        My 13 yr old licensed daughter is going on a backpacking trip and will be
        carrying an FRS (for comms amongst the scouts). She does not want to lug
        along a HAM radio too. (Every ounce hurts after a 3 day weekend of
        carrying everything)... I'd like to keep in touch, but I am 40 miles
        away.

        What if we put an FRS in a box with her 2m rig and left it in the car in
        the parking lot (on a central hill) and put them both on VOX and PL.

        The scouts would operate on FRS channel X with no PL. Only my daughter
        knows the PL of the FRS in the box. Now, I can transmit from home on VHF
        with the correct PL for the VHF radio to hear me and the FRS will key up
        and she will hear me just like anyone else in her group. But no one will
        key up the return link but her, because she only selects the correct PL
        when she wants to talk to me.

        Legal? No for lots of nit-picking reasons... and we will let all the
        lawyers list them... But then conversly, everything is done more or less
        within the spirit of the rules:

        1) FRS is operated entirely within the spirit of FRS. No mods to the
        radio, no mods to antennas, power, or controls. No non-type approved
        interfaces to any FRS radio. No attempts to extend the RF range of FRS in
        any way. My daughter and I are using it for family communications over
        short range.

        2) Similarly, We are both licenesed HAMS. We are communicating on 2m via
        HAM radio. I am the control operator of my station, and my daughter is
        the control operator of her's (left in the car.)

        3) You could go one step further if you wanted, and say that she is
        operating her 2m rig in the car as an auxilliary station under remote
        control on a frequency above 225 MHz... ;-)

        4) She has taken extra ordinary steps to prevent unlicensed access to her
        station. That is she has a control scheme that reduces the chances of
        someone controlling her station to less than 0.0018... pretty darn small
        way out in the woods..

        Don't worry, I'm not going to do this... but it was an interesting
        idea... If you ever do expect to provide emergency communications,
        sometimes it is worthwhile to think out side of the box in advance so that
        if you need to rig up something under stress, you have already thought it
        out beforehand...

        Having lobbed that one over the fence...
        Ducking for cover...

        Bob, WB4APR
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2002
          A year or so ago I wrote about getting the Boy Scouts organization to
          endorse FRS radio communications and incorporate simple radio skills
          training into their programs. In otherwords, the understanding of how to
          call on a radio by giving the "call" of the station you are calling
          followed by your "call".

          And encouraging scouts to use their Troop number and initials as a call,
          to help distinguish people in large gatherings.

          Does anyone know if anyone has codified the integration of FRS into
          scouting in any document or web page so that I can refer to it with my
          local council?

          THanks
          de WB4APR@..., Bob