Re: [scoutradio] FCC ANSWER - THIRD PARTY TRAFFIC

  • Milt Forsberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2002
      Unfortunately, the most logical choice is not always the choice of those
      writing some of the rules. As I understand it, Third Party rules have
      been in effect for a long time, and are probably much outdated. However,
      they still are in effect, and we need to follow them until changed. It
      appears that much of the problem comes from the fact that the governments
      of many of the foreign countries control the telecommunications systems,
      and in many places, own the systems. There is a concern (right or wrong)
      that Amateur Radio might cut into the income of the telecom systems, so
      the governments are very restrictive on types of communications permitted
      on the Amateur bands. It is disappointing that Scouts can't talk to
      everyone on the bands, but we have to live with that fact at present. I
      don't know if we can do anything to change it as the US will enter into a
      treaty with any of the other countires willing to do so to permit Third
      Party traffic, as has been done with most of the Central and South
      American countries, along with a few in other parts of the world. The
      change in attitude must come from the foreign governments.

      The ones who will lose the most in case of a violation are the foreign
      operators. We have to respect their license.

      It is good that this subject had come to light here. Hopefully, it will
      prevent some problems down the road related to JOTA and other Scout
      related Amateur Radio functions.

      Milt Forsberg, K9QZI
      Champaign, IL