Re: BSA Prohibits all Radios?

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 1999
      I called BSA headquarters and asked about adding FRS and CELL phones to
      the radio merit badge, and they got quite huffy that they only upgrade
      merit badges once every 10 years or so and that there is so much going on
      in radio, that it is too hard to change it.

      Sort of a crazy circular argument, but it was clear that someone willhave
      to invest quite a bit of time to work it through. I put such a project on
      my list of "some day when I find time..." hi hi

      bob

      On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, George A.
      Makrauer wrote:

      > An objective to benefit the Scouts (and the hobby) would be for BSA to implement
      > a Merit Badge or other program or whatever (been long, long, long time since I
      > was a Scout) based on Amateur Radio. Not only could line of sight comms be part
      > of it, but the ability to provide international Internet email capability via HF
      > or V/UHF links (and a whole host of other outdoor comms; emergency and
      > convenience) would be right up the Scouts' alley (or trail), so to speak.
      >
      > GAM w4tif

      APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

      Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
      US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
      See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
      See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
      See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html