Re: [scoutradio] GB Prefix

  • Malcolm Bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9 1:44 PM
      At 19:34 09/03/02, you wrote:
      >Ray,
      >

      >I talked to GI3OBO via I-Link and he said there are several GB stations with
      >permanent callsigns, like Gilwell park, but most are issued for special
      >events, for a certain amount of time.

      This is quite correct - most GB callsigns are only issued for 28 days to
      cover a special event. GB2GP at Gilwell is an exception.

      However, the GB calls are actually issued to individuals as temporary
      licence holder, and they retain a right to re-apply for the same callsign
      for up to 2 years after issue. Therefore you will find that special event
      stations taking part in regular events such as JOTA will often use the same
      callsign year after year - thereby giving an illusion that they are
      permanent features! This also allows operators to become familiar with a
      number of regular calls.

      Look at the JOTA callsign lists on our web page
      www.radio-scouting.org.uk/jota44.htm to get an idea of who you might hear!

      73

      Malcolm - G4CXT

      GB4WDS - Woodbridge District Scouts