RE: [scoutradio] Maine news

  • Hampton, Rickey
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 10:31 AM
      Milt,

      Thanks for beating me to the punch, so to speak. This is a commonly
      misunderstood part of the regulations and bears elucidation for everyone's
      benefit.

      This is also the way we operate our local club station, W4BFB, located at
      the Discovery Place Science Museum. (Much to the chagrin of my wife,
      daughter, and son, KG4GMJ, KG4GVS, and KG4QKX, respectively, it's also the
      way we operate at home. They have HF privileges ONLY when Dad is home and
      then only with countries with which we have third-party agreements.)

      I think we all agree that Amateur Radio is a GREAT hobby to introduce to
      Scouts. There are enough legitimate contacts out there, and it's easy
      enough to verify them, that it's not worth getting yourself, or another
      licensee, into trouble. Remember, while the FCC may be willing to look the
      other way, the DX operator's government may NOT be so forgiving. Sadly,
      there is enough unrest in the world that some countries still see amateur
      radio as a curse, not a blessing. I'd hate to think that in my enthusiasm
      to enrich the hobby, I wound up putting some poor soul in jail, or worse.

      Rickey L. Hampton, WD8KEL
      3700 Armitage Dr
      Charlotte, NC 28269-8312 USA

      Coordinates: 35° 18' 59" N, 80° 48' 22" W
      County: Mecklenburg County
      Grid: EM95oh