Re: [scoutradio] Maine news

  • Jon Blatman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
      Aren't No-Code Technicians still 3rd party if on HF???

      Jon
      N3VZG
      EMT-B

      --- ray@... wrote:

      ----<SNIP>----
      > What was especially nice was we didn't have
      > to worry about 3rd Party operations like we do
      > in October's JOTA with non hams.... these Scouts
      > all have their Technician licenses!
      >
      > 73 de N1RY

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
        This is a common misconception: that unlicensed Scouts cannot talk to
        certain countries without third-party agreements. In fact,
        third-party agreements with other nations is only in reference to
        message traffic, not to operators.

        Ref: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/3rdparty.html .

        At 06:54 -0800 07/03/2002, Jon Blatman wrote:
        >Aren't No-Code Technicians still 3rd party if on HF???
        >
        >Jon
        >N3VZG
        >EMT-B
        >
        >--- ray@... wrote:
        >
        > ----<SNIP>----
        >> What was especially nice was we didn't have
        >> to worry about 3rd Party operations like we do
        >> in October's JOTA with non hams.... these Scouts
        >> all have their Technician licenses!
        >>
        >> 73 de N1RY

        >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
        >subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

        >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        >ScoutRadio start page:
        >email addresses - change your subscription details, etc.)
        >
        >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

        73, Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
        K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
        Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
        Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly newsletter (no cost, no spam):
        Send email to: mailto:thefred@...

      • Milt Forsberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
          Be careful! The earlier reference only mentions a message coming from a
          country but it does not spell out the full third party rules. The FCC
          rules do state that the "First Party" is the local Control Operator, the
          "Second Party" is the Control Operater on the other end of the
          conversation. Any traffic to/from any other person is a "Third Party".
          The only waiver of this rule is if the "Third Party" is, in fact, eligible
          to control the Amateur Station. This means that someone with a Technician
          License is a Third Party if operating on 20 meters under supervision of
          the Control Operator since the Tech cannot be the Control Operator of that
          station. Had the FCC stated "Operator" and not "Control Operator", the
          meaning would be much different.

          K2BSA at the National Jamboree was very careful to not permit guest
          operators to talk with stations in countries with no Third Party Tariff
          with the US. In fact, meetings were held daily where this was mentioned.
          If a station was contacted with no 3rd party agreement, the Control
          Operator took over the conversation.

          Here is the FCC information and explaination:

          http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/about/intoperating.html

          There is a link from that page to the actual rules, if you want to go that
          far.

          Milt Forsberg, K9QZI
          Champaign, IL

          On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

          > This is a common misconception: that unlicensed Scouts cannot talk to
          > certain countries without third-party agreements. In fact,
          > third-party agreements with other nations is only in reference to
          > message traffic, not to operators.
          >
          > Ref: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/3rdparty.html .
        • Hampton, Rickey
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
            Milt,

            Thanks for beating me to the punch, so to speak. This is a commonly
            misunderstood part of the regulations and bears elucidation for everyone's
            benefit.

            This is also the way we operate our local club station, W4BFB, located at
            the Discovery Place Science Museum. (Much to the chagrin of my wife,
            daughter, and son, KG4GMJ, KG4GVS, and KG4QKX, respectively, it's also the
            way we operate at home. They have HF privileges ONLY when Dad is home and
            then only with countries with which we have third-party agreements.)

            I think we all agree that Amateur Radio is a GREAT hobby to introduce to
            Scouts. There are enough legitimate contacts out there, and it's easy
            enough to verify them, that it's not worth getting yourself, or another
            licensee, into trouble. Remember, while the FCC may be willing to look the
            other way, the DX operator's government may NOT be so forgiving. Sadly,
            there is enough unrest in the world that some countries still see amateur
            radio as a curse, not a blessing. I'd hate to think that in my enthusiasm
            to enrich the hobby, I wound up putting some poor soul in jail, or worse.

            Rickey L. Hampton, WD8KEL
            3700 Armitage Dr
            Charlotte, NC 28269-8312 USA

            Coordinates: 35° 18' 59" N, 80° 48' 22" W
            County: Mecklenburg County
            Grid: EM95oh
[...]

            ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and
            please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting
            it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.