Maine news

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6 8:54 AM
      Check this out.
      http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=3&call=wj0ta

      FYI: These Scouts did great in the contest!
      Some Comments:

      "What a great station! Its so neat to see what
      you can do with this hobby."

      ((We used WriteLog, rig control w/ DX Cluster, SGC self tuning
      amp, 115ft tower with LPDA and Yagis.))

      "Are we allowed to talk to Cuba?"
      "Where is Bulgaria?"
      "We almost got Ethiopia!"
      "It was great to work the beam!"
      "10meters was great! I've decided to get
      going on my 5wpm CW"

      What was especially nice was we didn't have
      to worry about 3rd Party operations like we do
      in October's JOTA with non hams.... these Scouts
      all have their Technician licenses!

      73 de N1RY
    • Jon Blatman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7 6:54 AM
        Aren't No-Code Technicians still 3rd party if on HF???

        Jon
        N3VZG
        EMT-B

        --- ray@... wrote:

        ----<SNIP>----
        > What was especially nice was we didn't have
        > to worry about 3rd Party operations like we do
        > in October's JOTA with non hams.... these Scouts
        > all have their Technician licenses!
        >
        > 73 de N1RY

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7 7:50 AM
          This is a common misconception: that unlicensed Scouts cannot talk to
          certain countries without third-party agreements. In fact,
          third-party agreements with other nations is only in reference to
          message traffic, not to operators.

          Ref: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/3rdparty.html .

          At 06:54 -0800 07/03/2002, Jon Blatman wrote:
          >Aren't No-Code Technicians still 3rd party if on HF???
          >
          >Jon
          >N3VZG
          >EMT-B
          >
          >--- ray@... wrote:
          >
          > ----<SNIP>----
          >> What was especially nice was we didn't have
          >> to worry about 3rd Party operations like we do
          >> in October's JOTA with non hams.... these Scouts
          >> all have their Technician licenses!
          >>
          >> 73 de N1RY

          >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
          >subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

          >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          >ScoutRadio start page:
          >email addresses - change your subscription details, etc.)
          >
          >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

          73, Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
          K2FRD Personal Adventure page: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/K2FRD.htm
          Fred's newest toy: http://www.ascent.net/thefred/M1911A1.htm .
          Subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE monthly newsletter (no cost, no spam):
          Send email to: mailto:thefred@...

        • Milt Forsberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7 9:55 AM
            Be careful! The earlier reference only mentions a message coming from a
            country but it does not spell out the full third party rules. The FCC
            rules do state that the "First Party" is the local Control Operator, the
            "Second Party" is the Control Operater on the other end of the
            conversation. Any traffic to/from any other person is a "Third Party".
            The only waiver of this rule is if the "Third Party" is, in fact, eligible
            to control the Amateur Station. This means that someone with a Technician
            License is a Third Party if operating on 20 meters under supervision of
            the Control Operator since the Tech cannot be the Control Operator of that
            station. Had the FCC stated "Operator" and not "Control Operator", the
            meaning would be much different.

            K2BSA at the National Jamboree was very careful to not permit guest
            operators to talk with stations in countries with no Third Party Tariff
            with the US. In fact, meetings were held daily where this was mentioned.
            If a station was contacted with no 3rd party agreement, the Control
            Operator took over the conversation.

            Here is the FCC information and explaination:

            http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/about/intoperating.html

            There is a link from that page to the actual rules, if you want to go that
            far.

            Milt Forsberg, K9QZI
            Champaign, IL

            On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

            > This is a common misconception: that unlicensed Scouts cannot talk to
            > certain countries without third-party agreements. In fact,
            > third-party agreements with other nations is only in reference to
            > message traffic, not to operators.
            >
            > Ref: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/3rdparty.html .
          • Hampton, Rickey
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7 10:31 AM
              Milt,

              Thanks for beating me to the punch, so to speak. This is a commonly
              misunderstood part of the regulations and bears elucidation for everyone's
              benefit.

              This is also the way we operate our local club station, W4BFB, located at
              the Discovery Place Science Museum. (Much to the chagrin of my wife,
              daughter, and son, KG4GMJ, KG4GVS, and KG4QKX, respectively, it's also the
              way we operate at home. They have HF privileges ONLY when Dad is home and
              then only with countries with which we have third-party agreements.)

              I think we all agree that Amateur Radio is a GREAT hobby to introduce to
              Scouts. There are enough legitimate contacts out there, and it's easy
              enough to verify them, that it's not worth getting yourself, or another
              licensee, into trouble. Remember, while the FCC may be willing to look the
              other way, the DX operator's government may NOT be so forgiving. Sadly,
              there is enough unrest in the world that some countries still see amateur
              radio as a curse, not a blessing. I'd hate to think that in my enthusiasm
              to enrich the hobby, I wound up putting some poor soul in jail, or worse.

              Rickey L. Hampton, WD8KEL
              3700 Armitage Dr
              Charlotte, NC 28269-8312 USA

              Coordinates: 35° 18' 59" N, 80° 48' 22" W
              County: Mecklenburg County
              Grid: EM95oh
[...]

              ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and
              please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting
              it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.