Re: [scoutradio] Summer Camp

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      While I'm now retired as Fishing and Radio Program Directors from
      Henderson (Crumhorn) Scout Reservation, I expect I'll spend a little
      pre-Camp time helping my Fishing replacement set up. Whilst I'm up
      there, I suspect I'll do a little portable operation (TS-50, 100w
      using hamsticks and/or Camp's CB vertical). Maybe we could set up a
      calling frequency for Scout Camps and Scouters? To my knowledge, this
      has never been done before, not counting JOTA. I might suggest 28.680
      or 24.960. Other frequencies? Times (e.g. Wednesdays at 2300Z)?

      for myself (the only active HF ham on Staff) and a couple
      Scoutmasters who bring in their gear for the week. When I ran the
      Radio Program at the Fishing Program Area, my gear was set up and
      operational right in the middle of the pavilion on a picnic table. It
      drew a LOT of attention from Scouts, Scouters, parents, and Staff,
      even during Sundays when the pavilion was used for health reviews
      during the checkin process.

      I would certainly like to see a Scout Camp to Scout Camp network
      established. With OCARG (see Signature below), we have our own
      callsign (at the moment, KC2IQA) and are expecting our vanity
      callsign any day now, anthrax notwithstanding.

      73 de Fred
      K2FRD

      --
      73, Fred Stevens K2FRD