RE: [scoutradio] Changes to the Radio Merit Badge

  • n7tek
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
      Max - KD7GES, et al,

      A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

      1. How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

      2. When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
      effect? It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
      anyone know when?

      3. Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
      was changed)?

      4. I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
      website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

      http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

      However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
      have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

      http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

      Here is a synopsis of the new Radio Merit Badge requirement #7 (I didn't
      compare any of the other requirements so if any of them changed let me
      know):

      7) Do ONE of the following (a, b, or c):
      A) Amateur radio
      1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
      the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.
      2) Carry on a 10-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
      Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations.
      (Licensed
      ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
      with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)
      Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal
      report.

      3) [OLD - NOTE: This requirement has been DELETED as of 2001.] With the
      help of a
      local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least two Morse
      code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often amateur
      radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

      3) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
      listening.
      4) [Changed requirement as of 2/1/2002.] Explain some of the technician
      class
      license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

      [This is the OLD 7A5 requirement that is now OBSOLETE as of 2/1/2002?]
      Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
      Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
      amateur radio exams.

      5) Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.
      Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service.
      6) Explain handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain
      about
      mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

      B) Broadcast radio
      1) Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly on-half
      hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station
      identification. Record your program on audio tape using proper
      techniques.
      2) Listen to and properly log fifteen broadcast stations; determine for
      five of these their transmitting power and general areas served.
      3) Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting such as
      segue, cut, and fade.
      4) Discuss the educational and licensing requirements and career
      opportunities in broadcast radio.

      C) Shortwave listening
      1) Listen across several shortwave bands for two four-hour periods, on in
      the early morning, and the other in the early evening. Log the stations
      properly and locate them geographically on a globe.
      2) For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in
      Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.
      3) Compare your morning and evening logs, noting the frequencies on which
      your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain the
      differences in signal strength from one period to the next.
      4) Discuss the purpose of and careers in shortwave communications.

      Thanks & 73!
      de N7TEK
      John Blackham, N7TEK
      HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
      PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

        A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

        1.  How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                    The 2002 Requirement Book, it should be available at your local Council Service Center.

        2.  When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
        effect?  It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
        anyone know when?

                    Effective as of 01/01/02

        3.  Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
        was changed)?

                    6D has changed to draw eight schematic symbols from ten.

        4.  I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
        website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

        http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

        However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
        have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

        http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                    I have revised the worksheets, for the new requirements, however I dropped out parts 7B and 7C as I almost always teach Amateur Radio Option. I would be glad to post it to the group if interested.

      • Richard A. Blank
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
          As an Advancement Chairman and Dean of Merit Badges for theConestoga
          District, and a member of the Cradle of Liberty Council's Advancement
          Committee, I can tell you this.

          1. The new requirements take effect with the printing of the new Radio
          Merit Badge book. This has been done and the book is available.
          2. Any Scout, who started working on the old requirements may continue
          to do so until he has completed the badge.
          3. Meritbadge.com is not an official Boy Scouts of America website.
          The information is updated by volunteers and is in no way official
          information.

          73, Rick