Change to the Radio Merit Badge

  • Max - KD7GES
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

      3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
      log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
      Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
      during a radio contact.

      They have also change req. 7 A 5.

      To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
      and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

      Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

      Max Manghelli - KD7GES
      Assistant Scoutmaster

    • n7tek
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        Max - KD7GES, et al,

        A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

        1. How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

        2. When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
        effect? It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
        anyone know when?

        3. Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
        was changed)?

        4. I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
        website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

        http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

        However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
        have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

        http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

        Here is a synopsis of the new Radio Merit Badge requirement #7 (I didn't
        compare any of the other requirements so if any of them changed let me
        know):

        7) Do ONE of the following (a, b, or c):
        A) Amateur radio
        1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
        the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.
        2) Carry on a 10-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
        Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations.
        (Licensed
        ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
        with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)
        Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal
        report.

        3) [OLD - NOTE: This requirement has been DELETED as of 2001.] With the
        help of a
        local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least two Morse
        code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often amateur
        radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

        3) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
        listening.
        4) [Changed requirement as of 2/1/2002.] Explain some of the technician
        class
        license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

        [This is the OLD 7A5 requirement that is now OBSOLETE as of 2/1/2002?]
        Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
        Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
        amateur radio exams.

        5) Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.
        Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service.
        6) Explain handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain
        about
        mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

        B) Broadcast radio
        1) Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly on-half
        hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station
        identification. Record your program on audio tape using proper
        techniques.
        2) Listen to and properly log fifteen broadcast stations; determine for
        five of these their transmitting power and general areas served.
        3) Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting such as
        segue, cut, and fade.
        4) Discuss the educational and licensing requirements and career
        opportunities in broadcast radio.

        C) Shortwave listening
        1) Listen across several shortwave bands for two four-hour periods, on in
        the early morning, and the other in the early evening. Log the stations
        properly and locate them geographically on a globe.
        2) For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in
        Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.
        3) Compare your morning and evening logs, noting the frequencies on which
        your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain the
        differences in signal strength from one period to the next.
        4) Discuss the purpose of and careers in shortwave communications.

        Thanks & 73!
        de N7TEK
        John Blackham, N7TEK
        HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
        PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...

        The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

        3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
        log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
        Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
        during a radio contact.

        They have also change req. 7 A 5.

        To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
        and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

        Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

        Max Manghelli - KD7GES
        Assistant Scoutmaster

        address' - change you subscription details, etc.)

      • Max - KD7GES
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

          A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

          1.  How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                      The 2002 Requirement Book, it should be available at your local Council Service Center.

          2.  When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
          effect?  It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
          anyone know when?

                      Effective as of 01/01/02

          3.  Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
          was changed)?

                      6D has changed to draw eight schematic symbols from ten.

          4.  I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
          website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

          http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

          However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
          have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

          http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                      I have revised the worksheets, for the new requirements, however I dropped out parts 7B and 7C as I almost always teach Amateur Radio Option. I would be glad to post it to the group if interested.

        • Richard A. Blank
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
            As an Advancement Chairman and Dean of Merit Badges for theConestoga
            District, and a member of the Cradle of Liberty Council's Advancement
            Committee, I can tell you this.

            1. The new requirements take effect with the printing of the new Radio
            Merit Badge book. This has been done and the book is available.
            2. Any Scout, who started working on the old requirements may continue
            to do so until he has completed the badge.
            3. Meritbadge.com is not an official Boy Scouts of America website.
            The information is updated by volunteers and is in no way official
            information.

            73, Rick