Re: [scoutradio] de N9ZRT

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
      Dave, you could be a scout. Check with your council and become a RADIO Merit Badge counselor. It's really simple and you might light that flame in some other  boy.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      n9zrt wrote:
      Hi Scouts,

      I have been sitting in the rocking chair watching, and wanted to step
      off the porch, and introduce myself. I am Dave Hatch, Green Bay,
      N9ZRT.

      I am not a ham, but got my radio passion in back in Cub Scouts,
      building a crystal set in the home of a ham. That ham's dad was a
      Sparkgap ham, and his son was a school mate of mine. See all three
      generations here, with the Sparkgap ham at just about 100 years of
      age. They are sitting on the porch of the house where I built that
      crystal set, back in the mid-60s...

      http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/hamstories/N9ZRT-Col3.html

      Today, I am pretty much a portable operator, really enjoying
      experimenting and hanging antennas from tree limbs and kites...

      http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/kite/allgear-txt.jpg

      I look forward to listening-in on this list. I thank the Moderator,
      who invited me.

      Dave Hatch

    • David H. Hatch - N9ZRT
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2002
        Bill wrote...

        Dave, you could be a scout. Check with your council and become a
        RADIO Merit Badge counselor. It's really simple and you might light
        that flame in some other boy.

        Dave replies...

        Thank-you, Bill. I will give that some thought here.

        Dave

        David H. Hatch - N9ZRT - "Zesty Red Tomato"
        http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/
        oslc@... / 18.155 USB
        Green Bay, Wisconsin
      • Max - KD7GES
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

          3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
          log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
          Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
          during a radio contact.

          They have also change req. 7 A 5.

          To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
          and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

          Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

          Max Manghelli - KD7GES
          Assistant Scoutmaster

        • n7tek
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
            Max - KD7GES, et al,

            A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

            1. How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

            2. When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
            effect? It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
            anyone know when?

            3. Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
            was changed)?

            4. I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
            website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

            http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

            However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
            have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

            http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

            Here is a synopsis of the new Radio Merit Badge requirement #7 (I didn't
            compare any of the other requirements so if any of them changed let me
            know):

            7) Do ONE of the following (a, b, or c):
            A) Amateur radio
            1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
            the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.
            2) Carry on a 10-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
            Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations.
            (Licensed
            ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
            with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)
            Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal
            report.

            3) [OLD - NOTE: This requirement has been DELETED as of 2001.] With the
            help of a
            local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least two Morse
            code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often amateur
            radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

            3) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
            listening.
            4) [Changed requirement as of 2/1/2002.] Explain some of the technician
            class
            license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

            [This is the OLD 7A5 requirement that is now OBSOLETE as of 2/1/2002?]
            Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
            Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
            amateur radio exams.

            5) Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.
            Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service.
            6) Explain handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain
            about
            mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

            B) Broadcast radio
            1) Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly on-half
            hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station
            identification. Record your program on audio tape using proper
            techniques.
            2) Listen to and properly log fifteen broadcast stations; determine for
            five of these their transmitting power and general areas served.
            3) Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting such as
            segue, cut, and fade.
            4) Discuss the educational and licensing requirements and career
            opportunities in broadcast radio.

            C) Shortwave listening
            1) Listen across several shortwave bands for two four-hour periods, on in
            the early morning, and the other in the early evening. Log the stations
            properly and locate them geographically on a globe.
            2) For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in
            Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.
            3) Compare your morning and evening logs, noting the frequencies on which
            your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain the
            differences in signal strength from one period to the next.
            4) Discuss the purpose of and careers in shortwave communications.

            Thanks & 73!
            de N7TEK
            John Blackham, N7TEK
            HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
            PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...

            The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

            3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
            log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
            Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
            during a radio contact.

            They have also change req. 7 A 5.

            To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
            and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

            Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

            Max Manghelli - KD7GES
            Assistant Scoutmaster

            address' - change you subscription details, etc.)

          • Max - KD7GES
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

              A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

              1.  How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                          The 2002 Requirement Book, it should be available at your local Council Service Center.

              2.  When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
              effect?  It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
              anyone know when?

                          Effective as of 01/01/02

              3.  Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
              was changed)?

                          6D has changed to draw eight schematic symbols from ten.

              4.  I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
              website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

              http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

              However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
              have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

              http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                          I have revised the worksheets, for the new requirements, however I dropped out parts 7B and 7C as I almost always teach Amateur Radio Option. I would be glad to post it to the group if interested.

            • Richard A. Blank
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                As an Advancement Chairman and Dean of Merit Badges for theConestoga
                District, and a member of the Cradle of Liberty Council's Advancement
                Committee, I can tell you this.

                1. The new requirements take effect with the printing of the new Radio
                Merit Badge book. This has been done and the book is available.
                2. Any Scout, who started working on the old requirements may continue
                to do so until he has completed the badge.
                3. Meritbadge.com is not an official Boy Scouts of America website.
                The information is updated by volunteers and is in no way official
                information.

                73, Rick