Re: [scoutradio] de N9ZRT

  • David H. Hatch - N9ZRT
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
      Ooops...

      I meant, "I am not a scout...", NOT, "I am not a ham..."

      Repeating, I am a ham, not a scout, and not much of a writer, either. :)

      Thanks,

      Dave
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
        Hi Dave!

        Welcome to my OTHER world!

        See you on 18.155/157.

        73 and Yours In Scouting,
        Fred K2FRD

        --
        73, Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
          Dave, you could be a scout. Check with your council and become a RADIO Merit Badge counselor. It's really simple and you might light that flame in some other  boy.

          Yours in Scouting,

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA

          n9zrt wrote:
          Hi Scouts,

          I have been sitting in the rocking chair watching, and wanted to step
          off the porch, and introduce myself. I am Dave Hatch, Green Bay,
          N9ZRT.

          I am not a ham, but got my radio passion in back in Cub Scouts,
          building a crystal set in the home of a ham. That ham's dad was a
          Sparkgap ham, and his son was a school mate of mine. See all three
          generations here, with the Sparkgap ham at just about 100 years of
          age. They are sitting on the porch of the house where I built that
          crystal set, back in the mid-60s...

          http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/hamstories/N9ZRT-Col3.html

          Today, I am pretty much a portable operator, really enjoying
          experimenting and hanging antennas from tree limbs and kites...

          http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/kite/allgear-txt.jpg

          I look forward to listening-in on this list. I thank the Moderator,
          who invited me.

          Dave Hatch

        • David H. Hatch - N9ZRT
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2002
            Bill wrote...

            Dave, you could be a scout. Check with your council and become a
            RADIO Merit Badge counselor. It's really simple and you might light
            that flame in some other boy.

            Dave replies...

            Thank-you, Bill. I will give that some thought here.

            Dave

            David H. Hatch - N9ZRT - "Zesty Red Tomato"
            http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/
            oslc@... / 18.155 USB
            Green Bay, Wisconsin
          • Max - KD7GES
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
              The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

              3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
              log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
              Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
              during a radio contact.

              They have also change req. 7 A 5.

              To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
              and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

              Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

              Max Manghelli - KD7GES
              Assistant Scoutmaster

            • n7tek
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                Max - KD7GES, et al,

                A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

                1. How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                2. When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
                effect? It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
                anyone know when?

                3. Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
                was changed)?

                4. I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
                website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

                http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

                However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
                have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

                http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                Here is a synopsis of the new Radio Merit Badge requirement #7 (I didn't
                compare any of the other requirements so if any of them changed let me
                know):

                7) Do ONE of the following (a, b, or c):
                A) Amateur radio
                1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
                the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.
                2) Carry on a 10-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
                Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations.
                (Licensed
                ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
                with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)
                Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal
                report.

                3) [OLD - NOTE: This requirement has been DELETED as of 2001.] With the
                help of a
                local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least two Morse
                code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often amateur
                radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

                3) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
                listening.
                4) [Changed requirement as of 2/1/2002.] Explain some of the technician
                class
                license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                [This is the OLD 7A5 requirement that is now OBSOLETE as of 2/1/2002?]
                Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
                Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
                amateur radio exams.

                5) Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.
                Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service.
                6) Explain handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain
                about
                mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

                B) Broadcast radio
                1) Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly on-half
                hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station
                identification. Record your program on audio tape using proper
                techniques.
                2) Listen to and properly log fifteen broadcast stations; determine for
                five of these their transmitting power and general areas served.
                3) Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting such as
                segue, cut, and fade.
                4) Discuss the educational and licensing requirements and career
                opportunities in broadcast radio.

                C) Shortwave listening
                1) Listen across several shortwave bands for two four-hour periods, on in
                the early morning, and the other in the early evening. Log the stations
                properly and locate them geographically on a globe.
                2) For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in
                Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.
                3) Compare your morning and evening logs, noting the frequencies on which
                your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain the
                differences in signal strength from one period to the next.
                4) Discuss the purpose of and careers in shortwave communications.

                Thanks & 73!
                de N7TEK
                John Blackham, N7TEK
                HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
                PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...

                The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

                3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
                log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
                Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
                during a radio contact.

                They have also change req. 7 A 5.

                To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
                and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

                Max Manghelli - KD7GES
                Assistant Scoutmaster

                address' - change you subscription details, etc.)

              • Max - KD7GES
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

                  A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

                  1.  How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                              The 2002 Requirement Book, it should be available at your local Council Service Center.

                  2.  When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
                  effect?  It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
                  anyone know when?

                              Effective as of 01/01/02

                  3.  Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
                  was changed)?

                              6D has changed to draw eight schematic symbols from ten.

                  4.  I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
                  website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

                  http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

                  However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
                  have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

                  http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                              I have revised the worksheets, for the new requirements, however I dropped out parts 7B and 7C as I almost always teach Amateur Radio Option. I would be glad to post it to the group if interested.

                • Richard A. Blank
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                    As an Advancement Chairman and Dean of Merit Badges for theConestoga
                    District, and a member of the Cradle of Liberty Council's Advancement
                    Committee, I can tell you this.

                    1. The new requirements take effect with the printing of the new Radio
                    Merit Badge book. This has been done and the book is available.
                    2. Any Scout, who started working on the old requirements may continue
                    to do so until he has completed the badge.
                    3. Meritbadge.com is not an official Boy Scouts of America website.
                    The information is updated by volunteers and is in no way official
                    information.

                    73, Rick