de N9ZRT

  • n9zrt
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
      Hi Scouts,

      I have been sitting in the rocking chair watching, and wanted to step
      off the porch, and introduce myself. I am Dave Hatch, Green Bay,
      N9ZRT.

      I am not a ham, but got my radio passion in back in Cub Scouts,
      building a crystal set in the home of a ham. That ham's dad was a
      Sparkgap ham, and his son was a school mate of mine. See all three
      generations here, with the Sparkgap ham at just about 100 years of
      age. They are sitting on the porch of the house where I built that
      crystal set, back in the mid-60s...

      http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/hamstories/N9ZRT-Col3.html

      Today, I am pretty much a portable operator, really enjoying
      experimenting and hanging antennas from tree limbs and kites...

      http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/kite/allgear-txt.jpg

      I look forward to listening-in on this list. I thank the Moderator,
      who invited me.

      Dave Hatch
    • David H. Hatch - N9ZRT
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
        Ooops...

        I meant, "I am not a scout...", NOT, "I am not a ham..."

        Repeating, I am a ham, not a scout, and not much of a writer, either. :)

        Thanks,

        Dave
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2002
          Hi Dave!

          Welcome to my OTHER world!

          See you on 18.155/157.

          73 and Yours In Scouting,
          Fred K2FRD

          --
          73, Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group http://www.ascent.net/thefred/ocarg.htm

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2002
              Bill wrote...

              Dave, you could be a scout. Check with your council and become a
              RADIO Merit Badge counselor. It's really simple and you might light
              that flame in some other boy.

              Dave replies...

              Thank-you, Bill. I will give that some thought here.

              Dave

              David H. Hatch - N9ZRT - "Zesty Red Tomato"
              http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/
              oslc@... / 18.155 USB
              Green Bay, Wisconsin
            • Max - KD7GES
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
                The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

                3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
                log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
                Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
                during a radio contact.

                They have also change req. 7 A 5.

                To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
                and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

                Max Manghelli - KD7GES
                Assistant Scoutmaster

              • n7tek
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Max - KD7GES, et al,

                  A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

                  1. How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                  2. When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
                  effect? It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
                  anyone know when?

                  3. Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
                  was changed)?

                  4. I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
                  website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

                  http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

                  However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
                  have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

                  http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                  Here is a synopsis of the new Radio Merit Badge requirement #7 (I didn't
                  compare any of the other requirements so if any of them changed let me
                  know):

                  7) Do ONE of the following (a, b, or c):
                  A) Amateur radio
                  1) Describe some of the activities that amateur radio operators can do on
                  the air, once they have earned an amateur radio license.
                  2) Carry on a 10-minute real or simulated ham radio contact using voice or
                  Morse code; use proper call signs, Q signals, and abbreviations.
                  (Licensed
                  ham radio operators may substitute five QSL cards as evidence of contacts
                  with amateur radio operators from at least three different call districts.)
                  Properly log the real or simulated ham radio contact and record the signal
                  report.

                  3) [OLD - NOTE: This requirement has been DELETED as of 2001.] With the
                  help of a
                  local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly log at least two Morse
                  code radio contacts. Record signal reports. Explain how often amateur
                  radio operators must give their call signs during a radio contact.

                  3) Explain at least five Q signals or amateur radio terms you hear while
                  listening.
                  4) [Changed requirement as of 2/1/2002.] Explain some of the technician
                  class
                  license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                  [This is the OLD 7A5 requirement that is now OBSOLETE as of 2/1/2002?]
                  Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
                  Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
                  amateur radio exams.

                  5) Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.
                  Tell why the FCC has an amateur radio service.
                  6) Explain handheld transceivers versus home "base" stations. Explain
                  about
                  mobile amateur radios and amateur radio repeaters.

                  B) Broadcast radio
                  1) Prepare a program schedule for radio station "KBSA" of exactly on-half
                  hour, including music, news, commercials, and proper station
                  identification. Record your program on audio tape using proper
                  techniques.
                  2) Listen to and properly log fifteen broadcast stations; determine for
                  five of these their transmitting power and general areas served.
                  3) Explain at least eight terms used in commercial broadcasting such as
                  segue, cut, and fade.
                  4) Discuss the educational and licensing requirements and career
                  opportunities in broadcast radio.

                  C) Shortwave listening
                  1) Listen across several shortwave bands for two four-hour periods, on in
                  the early morning, and the other in the early evening. Log the stations
                  properly and locate them geographically on a globe.
                  2) For several major foreign stations (BBC in Great Britain or HCJB in
                  Ecuador, for example), list several frequency bands used by each.
                  3) Compare your morning and evening logs, noting the frequencies on which
                  your selected stations were loudest during each session. Explain the
                  differences in signal strength from one period to the next.
                  4) Discuss the purpose of and careers in shortwave communications.

                  Thanks & 73!
                  de N7TEK
                  John Blackham, N7TEK
                  HOME: 384 North 75 East, North Salt Lake, UT, USA 84054-2320
                  PHONE: (H) 801-295-3036 E-MAIL: n7tek@...

                  The new requirements are out and they have dropped requirement # 7 A.

                  3) With the help of a local amateur radio operator, talk to and properly
                  log at least two Morse code radio contacts. Record signal reports.
                  Explain how often amateur radio operators must give their call signs
                  during a radio contact.

                  They have also change req. 7 A 5.

                  To now read: Explain some of the technician class license requirements
                  and privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                  Those are the two key changes to the requirements.

                  Max Manghelli - KD7GES
                  Assistant Scoutmaster

                  address' - change you subscription details, etc.)

                • Max - KD7GES
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

                    A few questions for you (or anyone else on the list that knows):

                    1.  How did you hear about these changes to the Radio Merit Badge?

                                The 2002 Requirement Book, it should be available at your local Council Service Center.

                    2.  When did these changes to the Radio Merit Badge officially go into
                    effect?  It appears they happened sometime in the later part of 2001 -
                    anyone know when?

                                Effective as of 01/01/02

                    3.  Are these the only changes that were done (i.e. 7A3 was deleted & 7A5
                    was changed)?

                                6D has changed to draw eight schematic symbols from ten.

                    4.  I checked the Radio Merit Badge requirements on the MeritBadge.com
                    website and the HTML page appears to have been updated with the changes:

                    http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/mb/093.htm

                    However the PDF & MS-Word worksheets for the Radio Merit Badge requirements
                    have NOT been updated so we need to be careful:

                    http://www.meritbadge.com/bsa/workshts/index.htm

                                I have revised the worksheets, for the new requirements, however I dropped out parts 7B and 7C as I almost always teach Amateur Radio Option. I would be glad to post it to the group if interested.

                  • Richard A. Blank
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                      As an Advancement Chairman and Dean of Merit Badges for theConestoga
                      District, and a member of the Cradle of Liberty Council's Advancement
                      Committee, I can tell you this.

                      1. The new requirements take effect with the printing of the new Radio
                      Merit Badge book. This has been done and the book is available.
                      2. Any Scout, who started working on the old requirements may continue
                      to do so until he has completed the badge.
                      3. Meritbadge.com is not an official Boy Scouts of America website.
                      The information is updated by volunteers and is in no way official
                      information.

                      73, Rick