Re: [scoutradio] HOAX HOAX HOAX

  • RStone1221@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
      ok i feel better now.
    • asabatpct
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
        > Apparently we are the victims of a hoax.

        A hoax is a false alarm. This is worse than a hoax. This is actually
        a do-it-yourself virus!

        There's a rather clever DIY virus that reads something like, "I'm a
        do it yourself virus. Please format your own hard drive now!" At
        least it's obvious that one is just a joke.

        I would encourage everyone to research any "virus warnings" they
        receive by email. Go to any established antivirus software company's
        website (such as www.antivirus.com) and look up the warning. There
        are many hoaxes and DIY viruses out there. Some of these even claim
        that "McAfee says it's real bad and there's no cure," but the person
        forwarding it didn't bother going to McAfee's website which would
        have revealed McAfee already knows it's a hoax.

        Bill AA6J
        www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
      • Mike Berryhill
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
          Hello Everyone,

          Interesting timing. I also just received some
          good references for determining if something
          is a hoax. I have pasted it below...

          One thing I always like to advocate...
          "Practice Safe Hex!"

          73,