HOAX HOAX HOAX

  • Charles McNeil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
      Please ignore my earlier message. Apparently we are the victims of a hoax.

      Charles VA3FCM
    • RStone1221@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
        ok i feel better now.
      • asabatpct
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
          > Apparently we are the victims of a hoax.

          A hoax is a false alarm. This is worse than a hoax. This is actually
          a do-it-yourself virus!

          There's a rather clever DIY virus that reads something like, "I'm a
          do it yourself virus. Please format your own hard drive now!" At
          least it's obvious that one is just a joke.

          I would encourage everyone to research any "virus warnings" they
          receive by email. Go to any established antivirus software company's
          website (such as www.antivirus.com) and look up the warning. There
          are many hoaxes and DIY viruses out there. Some of these even claim
          that "McAfee says it's real bad and there's no cure," but the person
          forwarding it didn't bother going to McAfee's website which would
          have revealed McAfee already knows it's a hoax.

          Bill AA6J
          www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
        • Mike Berryhill
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2001
            Hello Everyone,

            Interesting timing. I also just received some
            good references for determining if something
            is a hoax. I have pasted it below...

            One thing I always like to advocate...
            "Practice Safe Hex!"

            73,