Scouts and FRS

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 1999
      I can report my Kid's first experinece with FRS radios at Camp. I packed
      him 4 FRS single channel radios ($29 on sale) and informed the Pack leader
      that the leaders were welcome to use them in any way they could.

      AN BOY did they! They took em everywhere and found they could communicate
      anywhere in the 12 Sq Mi camp. Everyone wants one. Amazing thing is that
      all four radios were still working perfectly when he came home. (One was
      showing the low battery LED), but it was still comunicating too. He tells
      me they were turned ON before Breakfast and turned off at TAPS. Thats 15
      hours a day for 6 days (plus we just used the same ones in our 4th of July
      parade today) and STILL the ORIGINAL SET of 4 AA cells! Thats over 95
      operating hours each. (Probably much less than the 10% transmit ratio
      assumed in their 40 to 60 hour estimates).

      And, as I expected, they also wanted to know how to extend the range from
      Camp back to home. ANd of course, the answer is "HAM RADIO!"...

      Circuit City has their 2-channel "VOX-BOX" radios on un advertized special
      for $29 each ($59 a pair). I also found similar models at Circuit CIty
      for $59 a pair. These were "Whistler" models and were the 4 we had at
      camp. THus, you can always find em on sale for $29 if you look or wait.
      The 14 channel ones and CTCSS ones still cost more. But for kids, I
      woiuldnt pay more than $29.

      Also, at the 4th of July fireworks, I had my Kenwood dual band HT and
      an FRS. Never could find a simplex QSO on 2m or 440, (Maybe a million
      people on teh Baltimore Waterfront) but found lots of activity and fun
      being had on most of the FRS channels. So far, no garbage or CB behavior.
      Just families and boaters.

      I konw this is Blasphemy for Amateur radio, but we must face the fact that
      it is today's "Starter radio"... we need to gather them in and lead them
      in good radio etiquite and eventually to Ham Radio...

      bob, WB4APR
    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2002
        Bob, As far as I can tell, this has NOT been addressed by the BSA at all. I have heard of nothing coming down from National about any changes in the Guide to Safe Scouting  refering to the use of any kind of radio.

        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, District Committee Member at Large, Colonial District, National Capital Area Council

        Bob Bruninga wrote:
        A year or so ago I wrote about getting the Boy Scouts organization to
        endorse FRS radio communications and incorporate simple radio skills
        training into their programs.  In otherwords, the understanding of how to
        call on a radio by giving the "call" of the station you are calling
        followed by your "call".

        And encouraging scouts to use their Troop number and initials as a call,
        to help distinguish people in large gatherings.

        Does anyone know if anyone has codified the integration of FRS into
        scouting in any document or web page so that I can refer to it with my
        local council?

        THanks
        de WB4APR@..., Bob

      • Kyle
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2002
          in our troop we use them on hikeing trips and on
          outing i dont think there is a document out there if
          you want i can have my scoutmaster or spl write
          something up about it

          http://games.yahoo.com/
        • Dave Colter
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
            Hi Bob,
            From long experience, I can't imagine BSA making any changes on the basis of
            one request, especially if they did not respond to you. They get hundreds of
            letters each day on peripheral issues that they just can't deal with due to
            lack of adequate staff. At best, your letter might have been forwarded to
            the person responsible for Radio Merit Badge, but you just missed the most
            recent (unscheduled) revision. BSA doesn't revise merit badge books very
            often due to the costs involved. I don't recall the exact schedule, but I
            think it is ten or fifteen years.
            73,
            Dave Colter WA1ZCN

            > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:15:08 -0400 (EDT)
            > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
            > Subject: Scouts and FRS
            >
            > A year or so ago I wrote about getting the Boy Scouts organization to
            > endorse FRS radio communications and incorporate simple radio skills
            > training into their programs. In otherwords, the understanding of how to
            > call on a radio by giving the "call" of the station you are calling
            > followed by your "call".
            >
            > And encouraging scouts to use their Troop number and initials as a call,
            > to help distinguish people in large gatherings.
            >
            > Does anyone know if anyone has codified the integration of FRS into
            > scouting in any document or web page so that I can refer to it with my
            > local council?
            >
            > THanks
            > de WB4APR@..., Bob
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2002
              On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Kyle wrote about any BSA document on FRS:

              > in our troop we use them on hikeing trips and on
              > outing i dont think there is a document out there if
              > you want i can have my scoutmaster or spl write
              > something up about it
              > --- Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

              Actually, I am ready to put forward such a document,
              but I did not want to step on any toes or re-invent
              the wheel if it had alredy been done. thanks.
              Bob