APRS, Kids, Games and Practice

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2001
      On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Ray J. Vaughan wrote:

      > We just had a successful Merit Badge College here in Miami....
      > As you might suspect, the APRS setup was the big attraction. Kids see
      > a computer doing something they can't do at home and the eyes open
      > up....
      > A common question we don't have a good answer for yet...
      >
      > "What type of games can you play with other hams over the radio?"

      APRSdos has always had Chess and Checkers built in. Just zoom in to the
      middle of the gulf of Mexico and you will eventually see a chessboard
      about 3 miles square. Put your pieces on it and begin to play. This is a
      great training exercise in placing APRS objects on the map and updating
      their positions...

      In fact, you can hit FILE-LOAD-CHESS and it loads all the peices for you
      and goes straight to the map.

      And further more, you can hit alt-S-MODES-OTHER-GAME and it will
      facilitate the exchange of objects by keeping track of who's move it is...

      I just looked at it (to make sure it was still in there) and I guess the
      ICON I used for the queen got re-assigned, because she looks like an ATV
      set now... But the castles, and Knights are cute.

      P.S. One other thing the GAME mode does is only then update the movement
      of the last piece moved. Normally, APRSdos would set its usual decaying
      algorithm on each piece moved and unless you were a very slo player,
      then it would be sending multiple retries until each one decayed out.
      In GAME mode, once you move a new piece, it stops updating any older
      moved piece...

      I also implemented another game mode that allows one to play "warhammer"
      by placing pieces (obects) at varying places and each one has a defined
      "weapons" range (PHG circle) and the ability to fire missles (moving
      objects with cse and speed), but never documented it...

      But all of these use standard APRS and APRS functions. THe only thing
      different is just the "event" you are using APRS for... Excellent
      practice for tactical special events...

      de WB4APR@..., Bob

      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html