Merit Badge College

  • Ray J. Vaughan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2001
      We just had a successful Merit Badge College here in Miami. I thought some of you might be interested in the pictures.

      http://sffma.net/bsambc2001.htm

      As you might suspect, the APRS setup was the big attraction. Kids see a computer doing something they can't do at home and the eyes open up. Sure, we had some talk to other countries on the HF rig, and some conversations on the local repeater, but it's the computer they want to see.

      A common question we don't have a good answer for yet...

      "What type of games can you play with other hams over the radio?"

      Their $39 Cybico devices can do it over a 19.2 kbps 900 MHz connection. Why can't we? They can even send images over the air to a handheld device. Many teens can run circles around us on a computer. We're actually in a catch-up mode right now.

      Can someone suggest a way to do some sort of game over packet that might entertain a kid for a while? When he's playing with someone 30 miles away, we might have a new ham real fast.

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
      KD4BBM PG-7-15266
      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      ray@...
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2001
        On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Ray J. Vaughan wrote:

        > We just had a successful Merit Badge College here in Miami....
        > As you might suspect, the APRS setup was the big attraction. Kids see
        > a computer doing something they can't do at home and the eyes open
        > up....
        > A common question we don't have a good answer for yet...
        >
        > "What type of games can you play with other hams over the radio?"

        APRSdos has always had Chess and Checkers built in. Just zoom in to the
        middle of the gulf of Mexico and you will eventually see a chessboard
        about 3 miles square. Put your pieces on it and begin to play. This is a
        great training exercise in placing APRS objects on the map and updating
        their positions...

        In fact, you can hit FILE-LOAD-CHESS and it loads all the peices for you
        and goes straight to the map.

        And further more, you can hit alt-S-MODES-OTHER-GAME and it will
        facilitate the exchange of objects by keeping track of who's move it is...

        I just looked at it (to make sure it was still in there) and I guess the
        ICON I used for the queen got re-assigned, because she looks like an ATV
        set now... But the castles, and Knights are cute.

        P.S. One other thing the GAME mode does is only then update the movement
        of the last piece moved. Normally, APRSdos would set its usual decaying
        algorithm on each piece moved and unless you were a very slo player,
        then it would be sending multiple retries until each one decayed out.
        In GAME mode, once you move a new piece, it stops updating any older
        moved piece...

        I also implemented another game mode that allows one to play "warhammer"
        by placing pieces (obects) at varying places and each one has a defined
        "weapons" range (PHG circle) and the ability to fire missles (moving
        objects with cse and speed), but never documented it...

        But all of these use standard APRS and APRS functions. THe only thing
        different is just the "event" you are using APRS for... Excellent
        practice for tactical special events...

        de WB4APR@..., Bob

        APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html