New Hamscouts & Recommendations

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2001
      News: A dozen new hams have resulted from
      the Topsham, ME fall course for Scouts and Dads
      here in Maine. They are awaiting callsigns
      now.

      Five scouts have earned their Radio
      merit badge and/or their Technician's
      license... several participating parents
      and other adults made up the rest... others
      still to be tested or tested again.

      As much as I like the educational principle
      of using the more thorough "Now You're Talking"
      book, I gotta say, using Gordon West's book really
      gets people familiar with that question pool...
      fundamental to their success. Our pass/fail
      ratio improved substantially just using that book.

      So, in addition to your excellent teaching <wink>,
      think about using his book, and encourage
      students to take the online practice exams,
      (eg: www.qrz.com) as part of your HamScout
      courses.

      Get 'em on the air!

      73,
      Ray Sirois N1RY
      WJ0TA(/1)

      PS... several persons still have WSO
      "Radio Scouting" patches on reserve
      here with me. Please let me know if you are
      still interested!

      PSS... Don't get a false sense of
      security from even an updated anti-virus
      program (Norton, McAfee, etc).
      Examples of new viruses that spread
      wildly BEFORE the anti-virus softwares
      had vixes are: Melissa, I Love You, Nimbda.

      NO anti virus software out there would stop
      them for a day or two!

      As an IT Manager of a 110 person firm:
      -We will NOT use MS Outlook, etc
      -We proactively "stop-for-approval" all mail with
      content that meet certain criteria of potential
      viruses. eg: all .exe, .scr, vbs, doc&xls files w/ macros
      (to name a few).
      -Stopping all file attachements on this
      reflector was not such a bad idea because not
      all users will take the same precautions... and
      they can unwittingly be a propagator of one
      of these nasties to the whole group without
      even knowing it.