Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 237

  • ClayWA6LBU@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2001
      I have done the same thing. If I can just keep my wife from D-Loading the
      .exe files LOL

      Clay

      In a message dated 12/7/01 8:42:10 AM Central Standard Time, w2bsa@...
      writes:

      > Actually folks. The best way to get around the email viruses is to stop
      > running the software it's designed to exploit or keep your software
      > running at the latest patch level.
      > Most of these email viruses exploit errors in various Microsoft email
      > programs. I have personally chosen not to run Microsoft Outlook,
      > Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Messenger
      > since these are attacked very frequently. Because of this I have had a
      > problem with only one virus and I was still able to recover from that.
      > My personal emailer is the Netscape Mail program and I'm considering
      > purcha

      Clay Mayrose, WA6LBU

      "You have to operate everyday as if the whole world were listening, because
      these days, it is." - The FCC's Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH
    • Richard A. Blank
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2001
        David et al,
        My Norton Anti-virus is set to update 3 times a week. Sunday,
        Tuesday and Thursday. I have it set to scan everyday. I also have it
        set to scan the incoming email as it is being downloaded. Therefore, I
        have never had a problem.
        I continue to suggest that everyone get an Anti-virus program and
        use it, update it often and scan your system regularly. It is the best
        protection you can have. Many of the worm type viruses are not just
        sending to lists but, everyone in your address book. These viruses
        affect mostly those using Outlook and Outlook Express.
        73, Rick

        David Hutchinson wrote:

        > Message text written by INTERNET:scoutradio@yahoogroups.com
        > >From: "Richard A. Blank" <wb3bsa@...>
        > Subject: Re: mail attachments
        >
        > What would be better safety for all list members, is to get an
        > Anti-virus program. Norton Anti-virus is a very good one.
        > Good practice for everyone on the list is to keep their
        > Anti-virus
        > program up to date. With Norton Anti-virus you can set it to update
        > automatically at any interval you so choose. I would recomend that
        > you
        > set the interval daily if you want to have the highest protection.
        >
        > 73, Rick WB3BSA<
        >
        > I have been running Norton Antivirus for several years Rick. It is set
        > update via
        > live update. I run a full scan on the PC every Friday and despite all
        > this
        > I have recently
        > had new viruses get through the protection. They got through before
        > live
        > update had
        > added their virus signature to my virus definitions file.
        >
        > Mailing lists are particularily vunerable to virus distribution
        > especially
        > if they are large
        > lists. To remove the capability of sending email attachments via a
        > list is
        > a sensible
        > precaution and prevents accidental distribution by list members who
        > don't
        > realise
        > that their system is infected. I would always advocate the use of good
        >
        > antivirus
        > protection.
        >
        > 73 de David GI4FUM
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > ScoutRadio start page:
        > email address' - change you subscription details, etc.)

      • Michael Derek Barnett
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2001
          Je Sunday 09 December 2001 06:35 pm, vi skribis:
          > David et al,
          > My Norton Anti-virus is set to update 3 times a week. Sunday,
          > Tuesday and Thursday. I have it set to scan everyday. I also have it
          > set to scan the incoming email as it is being downloaded. Therefore, I
          > have never had a problem.
          > I continue to suggest that everyone get an Anti-virus program and
          > use it, update it often and scan your system regularly. It is the best
          > protection you can have. Many of the worm type viruses are not just
          > sending to lists but, everyone in your address book. These viruses
          > affect mostly those using Outlook and Outlook Express.
          > 73, Rick

          I would also add that people should start using the blind carbon copy
          function of your mailer when sending mail to multiple recipients, rather than
          tacking multiple addresses in the to: or cc: field. The newer worms are
          searching your entire mail folder (and i'm sure hard drive is soon, if not
          already,) for email addresses. As a result, they'll mail to any reference
          they see...not just people you know. bcc will help alleviate that problem.

          -derek

          The internet is the largest hiding place on earth. -- Anonymous