Re: [scoutradio] Re: Radios for Scouts (or the end of HAM radio?)

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
      On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 nickjmills@... wrote:

      > Call me crazy but why not just have them get their Tech lic?Then I
      > think it would be alot more fun then family radio.

      Because it is more important to get them on the air first and teach them
      good radio procedures (even if it is FRS). I have formed lots of kids
      interest by brining a large USGS topo map to scout meetings and letting
      the kids put pins on their QTH. Surprising, many live easily within a
      mile of each other and can QSO with FRS.

      I also just formed a club at my kids Middle school and got 20 kids signed
      up to take an afternoon after school Radio Course. Again, first step will
      be to get them on the map with pins and then participating in an FRS
      on-air weekly night net. AFTER having spent a whole session talking about
      procedures and use of callsigns.

      Each kids homework assignment is to make a QSL card with his FRS callsign.
      We assign them CALLS using their TROOP number and initials. For the
      school, they use the school initials and grade. Thus my son's 6th grad
      call is SS6AJB and his troop call is 995AJB. In order to make sure there
      is a critical mass of people on the air at "net" time, its the same
      channel for ALL these overlaping groups so that everyone will find someone
      within a mile of their house.

      Then after the newness of that wears off and they see the HAM HT demos,
      then they will all want to upgrade to get greater range by becoming a HAM.
      But it is imperitive that they get used to using CALLSIGNS always. This
      is step 1.

      The rest will follow...

      de WB4APR, Bob