Patch

  • ClayWA6LBU@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2001
      What is this patch?

      WSOM Radio Scouting patch

      I have never heard of it.

      Clay WA6LBU
    • Jon Pearl W4ABC
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2001
        Hey, welcome to the list Clay and good going on your JOTA write-up and
        picture at: http://www.eham.net/articles/2718

        Good shot of ISS Crew Chief Frank Culbertson, KD5OPQ in his BSA 'class B'
        shirt too!

        As to your question... Ray Sirois posted a pix from his website a couple of
        weeks back at:
        http://www.ray.sirois.com/jota-badge.jpg

        73 - BP

        Jon Pearl W4ABC
        Trustee WA4BSA

          Is this an authorized patch? If so, where can we obtain some.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2001
            From a posting on 10-22-01...

            I've had a few folks interested in the
            World Scouting Org patches mentioned
            in my news item for Brunswick Maine JOTA
            Stations. I have a couple dozen
            remaining. $3 ea
            A link to the image of this patch follows.

            http://www.ray.sirois.com/jota-badge.jpg

            (snip)

            73, Ray Sirois N1RY
            Club call: WJ0TA
            ray@...

            Suggest you email me to let me know
            how many to put aside for you.
            Mail = call book address.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21 12:06 PM
              Sorry for the subject line, but was just at Best Buy and ALL of the FRS
              radio MFRS are now selling 5W (5 Mile) FRS/gmrs* radios. Notice the
              "gmrs" in small print and the asterix which you have to search on all six
              sides of the box to see in very tiny print (license required).

              These are going for $99 a pair with all channels and CTCSS and 5 Watts.
              And remember that there are GMRS repeaters in most places.. THus, WHO
              NEEDS HAM RADIO when you can buy an HT with repeater coverage at office
              depot or best buy? (Thank heavens we still have HF)

              My personal response to this commercialization of WIRELESS began a few
              months ago when I began taking a USGS topographical map to my kids SCOUTS
              and SCHOOL Club meetings and getting the kids to put pins in the map to
              identify their QTH. Soon it was clear that many if not most were
              clustered well within a mile of each other. MOST already had "walkie
              talkies" (FRS).

              My objective here is to set up a "NET" time when they can call and find
              others in their group on the air. By educating them FIRST before we begin
              these nets, each kid will be assigned a "callsign". For my kids scout
              troop it will be "995-AJ" or on initial call up, "This is Troop-995-AJ".
              A combination of the troop number and the kids initials. For his school
              radio club we are forming (Severn School) it will be "Severn-AJ"

              We will practice calling and net operation in the clubs and at the
              meetings before we do any ON-AIR operation. THus when NET time comes, we
              will have an orderly group of kids that can use the radio properly.

              IF YOU DONT TRAIN THEM FIRST, you will have bedlam! Kids want to make
              noises and just yell into the radio. We must educate them first. Radios
              can be valuable if people konw how to us them. As HAM radio operators we
              must rise to this challenge or soon even FRS will be useless...

              I stongly feel that getting them to use CALLSIGNS is the first BIG step:

              TO give their FRS callsigns some significance and permanence and to
              encourage them to use them, One of their first club projects is to
              use a computer to print a QSL looking like card with their "callsign" on
              it. When they begin to identify with that call, then I am certain we will
              see them use them and be proud of them.

              Then hook-line-and-sinker we reel them in to our local KIDS amateur radio
              club... to upgrade... and get a real callsign...

              P.S. By organizing a radio sub-group in each group that my kids are
              involved with and other neighboring troops (all of which overlap back
              into the same geographical area) soon we will have enough kids in the
              area and on the air to achieve critical mass of being able to raise a
              QSO without the organized NET. THIS is our farming grounds for future
              HAM radio operators...

              Many in HAM radio do not agree with this approach. But we have to do
              something....

              de WB4APR, Bob
            • nickjmills@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29 4:15 PM
                Call me crazy but why not just have them get their Tech lic?Then I
                think it would be alot more fun then family radio.I bought a family
                radio just beacuse it was cheap and my gf and I can talk to each
                other while I fish at a local lake.She uses the family radio I use my
                dual band radio.I think the family radio are really a joke.
              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29 4:34 PM
                  On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 nickjmills@... wrote:

                  > Call me crazy but why not just have them get their Tech lic?Then I
                  > think it would be alot more fun then family radio.

                  Because it is more important to get them on the air first and teach them
                  good radio procedures (even if it is FRS). I have formed lots of kids
                  interest by brining a large USGS topo map to scout meetings and letting
                  the kids put pins on their QTH. Surprising, many live easily within a
                  mile of each other and can QSO with FRS.

                  I also just formed a club at my kids Middle school and got 20 kids signed
                  up to take an afternoon after school Radio Course. Again, first step will
                  be to get them on the map with pins and then participating in an FRS
                  on-air weekly night net. AFTER having spent a whole session talking about
                  procedures and use of callsigns.

                  Each kids homework assignment is to make a QSL card with his FRS callsign.
                  We assign them CALLS using their TROOP number and initials. For the
                  school, they use the school initials and grade. Thus my son's 6th grad
                  call is SS6AJB and his troop call is 995AJB. In order to make sure there
                  is a critical mass of people on the air at "net" time, its the same
                  channel for ALL these overlaping groups so that everyone will find someone
                  within a mile of their house.

                  Then after the newness of that wears off and they see the HAM HT demos,
                  then they will all want to upgrade to get greater range by becoming a HAM.
                  But it is imperitive that they get used to using CALLSIGNS always. This
                  is step 1.

                  The rest will follow...

                  de WB4APR, Bob