Re: [scoutradio] The "Movement" of Radio Scouting

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2001

      >... In my discussions with ARRL Leadership
      >in Newington CT. on the subject of making bigger
      >aliances between BSA and ARRL, they say actually
      >the biggest thing that is needed is LOTS of activity on
      >the local fronts.

      Very well said, Ray. My own conversations with The League and BSA
      National concluded with the same message: organize at the local
      (Council) level.

      Here in Otschodela Council, Oneonta, NY, we formed the Otschodela
      Council Amateur Radio Group (OCARG - See:
      http://www.sites.netscape.net/thefred3/homepage for details), an
      informal cohort of amateur operators and Scouts and Scouters,
      organized as a direct result of the K2BSA Special Event we conducted
      in May 2000 at the 90th Anniversary Camporee celebrating Troop 1
      Unadilla, oldest continuously chartered Troop in the US. No dues, no
      constitution, no officers, no meetings except for informal on-air or
      email gatherings. The only requirement to join is an interest in both
      ham radio and Scouting. It's been quite successful with some 24
      adults and youth, most licensed, as "members". We put out a monthly
      online email newsletter (The OCARG EAGLE) which is now into its
      second year.

      Importantly, we received Official recognition by the Council when we
      became a new and separate committee on the Foothills District
      Committee earlier this year although our membership covers the entire
      Council.

      More importantly, the Council Professional and Volunteer leadership
      recognizes the contribution we make toward the Goals of the Boy
      Scouts of America as Ray so eloquently described, particularly in the
      fields of character and citizenship.

      I am more than happy to assist any Council and/or person interested
      in organizing a similar group. The greatest single potential for
      bringing youth into amateur radio and making a positive contribution
      toward Scouting is through such organizations. Again, details may be
      found in the URL below.

      Always Yours In Scouting,

      Fred Stevens
      K2FRD

      --
      Sincerely Yours In Scouting,

      If interested in Scouting and Amateur Radio, please click on:
      http://sites.netscape.net/thefred3/homepage
      If just curious about K2FRD, check out:
      http://sites.netscape.net/thefred3/k2frd .