Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 222

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2001
      Dave, you're right on the nose as far as I'm concerned. It also seems contrary to the spirit of Amateur Radio. We stand for international
      cooperation. The problem in the BSA is that we have one or two conservative sponsoring denominations that have the most units
      sponsored in the BSA. BSA tends to bow to their wishes in order to preserve the sponsorships and the units that are sponsored.
      It leaves many of us who tend to be more moderate out in the cold.

      73,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      Dave Colter wrote:
      With regard to wearing the World Crest - another corollary issue is BSA's
      isolationist tendency.  European associations in particular and the WOSM in
      general have a slightly more "liberal" view of Scouting's purpose that the
      more conservative BSA has never been comfortable with.  WOSM has ties to
      UNESCO, and has actively encouraged Scout associations to work actively for
      world peace, and many are also involved in "peace corps" type projects in
      developing countries.  BSA's traditional image of itself is as a more
      "nationalist" patriotic organization. Other "problems" include things like
      fully coed programs, alcohol being served to the 18+ Scouts (and the fact
      that no one really pays attention to younger Scouts who also imbibe) and
      coed German Venture and Rover age groups handing out free condoms to their
      members at campouts, etc.   While all this helps me understand why BSA
      hasn't said much about Scouting in the rest of the world, (and why many
      others around the world dislike BSA),  it also leaves me wondering why they
      even went as far as making the World Crest part of the standard uniform.  As
      to why it isn't already sewn on, National Supply told our local Scout shop
      that is was cost.  A Scout exec friend says it was prevented by certain
      sponsoring denominations who would rather their kids not even know there was
      Scouting outside the US.  I suspect it was a compromise.  The good news is
      that BSA seems recently to have taken some steps to broaden our
      organizational "world view". But, we digress from the purpose of this
      remailer, so I guess if we'd like to discuss this one further we should do
      it elsewhere!  Apologies to everyone else.
      73,
      Dave Colter WA1ZCN

      ----- Original Message ----- > Topics in this digest: