Re: [scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to Scout Troop

  • Ray Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
      >
      > > Our troop has a camping trip planned and the
      > younger boys want to
      > > have a "signaling" activity using Morse code with
      > flashlights at
      > > night. None of the them (or the adult leaders)
      > know the code...
      >
      > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

      I'm in favor of the CodeQuick (c) method myself. Get'm to do those sound-alikes and reinforce it with a key and oscillator.

      Catch-it-catch-it pay-day-to-day Dog-did-it Eek Kang-a-roo Bang-rat-a-tat ought-ought-ought-ought-ought Ssss-Ssss-Ssss
      Tall Naa-tzi Kang-a-roo. :-)

      _Ray_ KB0STN
      DA, Den 3, Pack 77
      Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
      raybrown@...
    • McGlen
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
        Larry,
        Thanks for the prompt reply.  I received the chart ok as an attachment to your e-mail.
        (I now just need to reduce it to a size for my printer and I can then produce copies for our event)
        Regards,
        Eric G6INK
        end.
        This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
      • Cedric Walker
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
          --- In scoutradio@y..., ka6bsa@y... wrote:
          <snip>
          > Does anyone have any suggestions?

          To begin with, keep it short, keep it simple, make it fun.

          In 30 or 60 minutes you can't teach all the letters, as has been
          pointed out. Start with the simple stuff... the ones the ARRL code
          tapes begin with. But don't use the ARRL's (boring) words and
          sentences. Appeal to the boys' base instincts.

          Once the boys in our Webelos den figured out that I was
          sending "TEN RATS ASSES IN TAR" and similar appealing phrases, they
          perked up and were attentive to every letter!

          Cedric
          k5cfw
        • Darryl Wagoner
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
            Hi,

            I think teaching code to Scouts or anyone else is best done using
            Koch method.  I think it is generally a bad idea to try to teach the code
            where the student first learns what dits and dahs make up a letter.
            They should learn it first totally by sound first.

             I have a page with lots of links at http://www.shecora.com/ham
            plus my free ham testing software.

            Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON

            "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]