Re: [scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to Scout Troop

  • Larry Acklin
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      everybody gets it? if attachments are permitted
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
        > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
        >
        > > Our troop has a camping trip planned and the
        > younger boys want to
        > > have a "signaling" activity using Morse code with
        > flashlights at
        > > night. None of the them (or the adult leaders)
        > know the code...
        >
        > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

        I'm in favor of the CodeQuick (c) method myself. Get'm to do those sound-alikes and reinforce it with a key and oscillator.

        Catch-it-catch-it pay-day-to-day Dog-did-it Eek Kang-a-roo Bang-rat-a-tat ought-ought-ought-ought-ought Ssss-Ssss-Ssss
        Tall Naa-tzi Kang-a-roo. :-)

        _Ray_ KB0STN
        DA, Den 3, Pack 77
        Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
        raybrown@...
      • McGlen
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
          Larry,
          Thanks for the prompt reply.  I received the chart ok as an attachment to your e-mail.
          (I now just need to reduce it to a size for my printer and I can then produce copies for our event)
          Regards,
          Eric G6INK
          end.
          This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
        • Cedric Walker
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
            --- In scoutradio@y..., ka6bsa@y... wrote:
            <snip>
            > Does anyone have any suggestions?

            To begin with, keep it short, keep it simple, make it fun.

            In 30 or 60 minutes you can't teach all the letters, as has been
            pointed out. Start with the simple stuff... the ones the ARRL code
            tapes begin with. But don't use the ARRL's (boring) words and
            sentences. Appeal to the boys' base instincts.

            Once the boys in our Webelos den figured out that I was
            sending "TEN RATS ASSES IN TAR" and similar appealing phrases, they
            perked up and were attentive to every letter!

            Cedric
            k5cfw
          • Darryl Wagoner
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
              Hi,

              I think teaching code to Scouts or anyone else is best done using
              Koch method.  I think it is generally a bad idea to try to teach the code
              where the student first learns what dits and dahs make up a letter.
              They should learn it first totally by sound first.

               I have a page with lots of links at http://www.shecora.com/ham
              plus my free ham testing software.

              Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON

              "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]