[scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to Scout Troop

  • McGlen
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      Larry,
      I would be interested in seeing a copy of the morse chart for out JOTA station
      Regards,
      Eric G6INK
      end.
      This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
    • Larry Acklin

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
          > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
          >
          > > Our troop has a camping trip planned and the
          > younger boys want to
          > > have a "signaling" activity using Morse code with
          > flashlights at
          > > night. None of the them (or the adult leaders)
          > know the code...
          >
          > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

          I'm in favor of the CodeQuick (c) method myself. Get'm to do those sound-alikes and reinforce it with a key and oscillator.

          Catch-it-catch-it pay-day-to-day Dog-did-it Eek Kang-a-roo Bang-rat-a-tat ought-ought-ought-ought-ought Ssss-Ssss-Ssss
          Tall Naa-tzi Kang-a-roo. :-)

          _Ray_ KB0STN
          DA, Den 3, Pack 77
          Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
          raybrown@...
        • McGlen
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
            Larry,
            Thanks for the prompt reply.  I received the chart ok as an attachment to your e-mail.
            (I now just need to reduce it to a size for my printer and I can then produce copies for our event)
            Regards,
            Eric G6INK
            end.
            This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
          • Cedric Walker
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- In scoutradio@y..., ka6bsa@y... wrote:
              <snip>
              > Does anyone have any suggestions?

              To begin with, keep it short, keep it simple, make it fun.

              In 30 or 60 minutes you can't teach all the letters, as has been
              pointed out. Start with the simple stuff... the ones the ARRL code
              tapes begin with. But don't use the ARRL's (boring) words and
              sentences. Appeal to the boys' base instincts.

              Once the boys in our Webelos den figured out that I was
              sending "TEN RATS ASSES IN TAR" and similar appealing phrases, they
              perked up and were attentive to every letter!

              Cedric
              k5cfw
            • Darryl Wagoner
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
                Hi,

                I think teaching code to Scouts or anyone else is best done using
                Koch method.  I think it is generally a bad idea to try to teach the code
                where the student first learns what dits and dahs make up a letter.
                They should learn it first totally by sound first.

                 I have a page with lots of links at http://www.shecora.com/ham
                plus my free ham testing software.

                Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON

                "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]