Re: Re: [scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to Scout Troop

  • Larry Acklin
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      Another game- put a CW sender (elmer/ham?) on a hilltop with the patrols all facing him- so they can see the light.  Send CW message to all patrols and have them copy.  Most accurate copy wins.

      Use the morse chart at the JOTA international site- I will email direct to anyone interested.

      Also- have a CW keyboard handy so they can try audible after the gmes are over- good lodge activity-- (plus you don't want them counting dots and dashes for too too long- old habits and so on)

      73
      Larry
      KB3CUF
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
        Larry,
        I would be interested in seeing a copy of the morse chart for out JOTA station
        Regards,
        Eric G6INK
        end.
        This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
      • Larry Acklin

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
            > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
            >
            > > Our troop has a camping trip planned and the
            > younger boys want to
            > > have a "signaling" activity using Morse code with
            > flashlights at
            > > night. None of the them (or the adult leaders)
            > know the code...
            >
            > > Does anyone have any suggestions?

            I'm in favor of the CodeQuick (c) method myself. Get'm to do those sound-alikes and reinforce it with a key and oscillator.

            Catch-it-catch-it pay-day-to-day Dog-did-it Eek Kang-a-roo Bang-rat-a-tat ought-ought-ought-ought-ought Ssss-Ssss-Ssss
            Tall Naa-tzi Kang-a-roo. :-)

            _Ray_ KB0STN
            DA, Den 3, Pack 77
            Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
            raybrown@...
          • McGlen
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
              Larry,
              Thanks for the prompt reply.  I received the chart ok as an attachment to your e-mail.
              (I now just need to reduce it to a size for my printer and I can then produce copies for our event)
              Regards,
              Eric G6INK
              end.
              This e-mail may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.  Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be unlawful.  If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the sender and delete the message.  Outgoing mail is certified 'Virus Free'.
            • Cedric Walker
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
                --- In scoutradio@y..., ka6bsa@y... wrote:
                <snip>
                > Does anyone have any suggestions?

                To begin with, keep it short, keep it simple, make it fun.

                In 30 or 60 minutes you can't teach all the letters, as has been
                pointed out. Start with the simple stuff... the ones the ARRL code
                tapes begin with. But don't use the ARRL's (boring) words and
                sentences. Appeal to the boys' base instincts.

                Once the boys in our Webelos den figured out that I was
                sending "TEN RATS ASSES IN TAR" and similar appealing phrases, they
                perked up and were attentive to every letter!

                Cedric
                k5cfw
              • Darryl Wagoner
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
                  Hi,

                  I think teaching code to Scouts or anyone else is best done using
                  Koch method.  I think it is generally a bad idea to try to teach the code
                  where the student first learns what dits and dahs make up a letter.
                  They should learn it first totally by sound first.

                   I have a page with lots of links at http://www.shecora.com/ham
                  plus my free ham testing software.

                  Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON

                  "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]