Fwd: Re: [scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to Scout Troop

  • Loren Mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2001
      --- Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
      > Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:48:32 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
      > To: <ka6bsa@...>
      > CC: <scoutradio@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [scoutradio] Teaching Morse Code to
      > Scout Troop
      >
      > On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 ka6bsa@... wrote:
      >
      > > Our troop has a camping trip planned and the
      > younger boys want to
      > > have a "signaling" activity using Morse code with
      > flashlights at
      > > night. None of the them (or the adult leaders)
      > know the code...
      >
      > > Does anyone have any suggestions?
      >
      > Teach a small simple subset.
      > Plan the activity so that at each point along the
      > "event" they send a
      > signal to convey some kind of info. THus, they dont
      > need to send plain
      > text, but they will send "mesages".
      >
      > Teaching them the letters for
      >
      > SOS, OK, NO, GO L (for go left) or GO R for go
      > right.
      > Or R for roger...
      >
      > Keep it simple and they will LOVE IT!
      > de WB4APR, Bob

      Thank you Bob, I also like the idea of having the boys
      learn the letters for the initials of their name, so
      that can be part of the "message" too. I am still
      trying to think of how this communication activity
      could be included into a short night hike or outdoor
      game.

      -Loren Mitchell, K6BK
      KA6BSA, Scripps Ranch, CA

      =====