Re: [Scout Mlist] Old Dogs Learn New Tricks

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 1999
      One more idea to throw into the SCOUTS on FRS idea is to begin the
      encouragement to use "callsigns".

      I suggest "SCOUT xxx"

      When I talk on an FRS radio, I dont feel comfortable without using a
      callsign and talking just like we do on Ham radio or on military radios.
      You need callsigns to "establish" commnuications. When I'm with my boys,
      I am "SCOUT LEADER", then the boys are SCOUT 1, SCOUT2 and so on.

      We could even use "858 CUB 1" for my pack (858) and kid #1.
      or for den outings, "DEN1 cub 3"

      A mouth full, but heck, the kids would love it...

      AND, going back to the calling channel with your family.... Even if you
      are at the mall, and use the "SCOUT xxx" callsign, then you will be sure
      to find other scouts that way... AND will help encourage others of the
      general public to also adopt callsigns and use proper radio technique...

      de WB4APR, Bob