Re: [Scout Mlist] Old Dogs Learn New Tricks

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 1999
      On Tue, 4 May 1999, Jon Pearl W4ABC forwarded what Jack & John Wright
      <jwright@...> had said:

      > Now, I see that FRS coordinating info should be at the top of the
      > sheet! Like you said, Bob, Channel #1, tone #1 for a Troop-to-Troop
      > camp net, or emergencies.

      Again, my $.02 is to use channel 1 NO-tone as a calling channel. Radio
      shack has sold their channel 1 NO-tone radios as low as $29. With 14
      channels and 36 tones, thats over 500 ways *not* to communicate.

      I agree that you can consider special tones for special applications for
      the camp leaders and infrastructure, but as a default for general family
      outings, its nice to always start on the calling channel to see if their
      are any other "scouts" out playing where you are playing.

      In other words, my original intent was not just for "camp" use. But to
      encourage scouts and their families to use the calling channel whenever
      they were out doing something and they may find other "scouts" out doing
      similar things in the same area and want to meet up. Being a HAM, I sit
      on channel 1 no-tone simply because I like playing radio with anyone, and
      it helps meet new people...

      Just some thoughts. de WB4APR, Bob
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 1999
        One more idea to throw into the SCOUTS on FRS idea is to begin the
        encouragement to use "callsigns".

        I suggest "SCOUT xxx"

        When I talk on an FRS radio, I dont feel comfortable without using a
        callsign and talking just like we do on Ham radio or on military radios.
        You need callsigns to "establish" commnuications. When I'm with my boys,
        I am "SCOUT LEADER", then the boys are SCOUT 1, SCOUT2 and so on.

        We could even use "858 CUB 1" for my pack (858) and kid #1.
        or for den outings, "DEN1 cub 3"

        A mouth full, but heck, the kids would love it...

        AND, going back to the calling channel with your family.... Even if you
        are at the mall, and use the "SCOUT xxx" callsign, then you will be sure
        to find other scouts that way... AND will help encourage others of the
        general public to also adopt callsigns and use proper radio technique...

        de WB4APR, Bob